Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4-5 surgery results

Jim_LJJim_L Posts: 189
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Lower Back Pain
Well, first let me say I don't like the new forum look and it was a surprise to have to recreate my account. yer gone for a month and they change everything around! SHEESH!

As my back still doesn;t like to sit in my computer chair for very long, I'll just state the main things that have happened after my surgery on June 18th (continued from the old forum btw...). Also, (and this is for the sites programmers) the 'Featured Videos' and 'Important articles' boxes on the right in this 'post topic' window encroach/overlap upon this text box...;>)

Anyway, surgery went well and I woke up not in the amount of pain I expected. I came home Friday (yay! No more peeing in a jar!) and decided to stop taking both my oxycodonne and gabapentin. Saturday i started getting massive chills and fever and I wound up calling the doc on monday and they told me to come in tuesday. We're all thinking it's probably an infection. i only got about 1-2 hours sleep each night through the whole thing. It turns out that I was an idiot by going cold turkey on the gabapentin and was experiencing full blown withdrawal symptoms.

I got home from the doc, went back on the pills and an hour or 2 later I was fine. I've since weaned myself off the gabapentin and am doing fine.

I spend most of my time reclining on my recliner and getting only 2-4 hours of sleep at a stretch. Movement is fine, i can squat, leg strength is great but as i'm a stomach sleeper, sleep is fitfull as I have to sleep on my side and going from one side to the other is not fun (but getting easier). My other main problem with sleep is my thoracic area problems which are letting themselves be known more and more but only during sleep and turning.

This past Friday I went grocery shopping with my wife and was walking for more than 1.5 hours. It did hurt but I made it through and that night I was looking forward to going to bed early (8:30 or so). My wife and kids were all in bed and i went to turn off a window fan in the living room and as I reached for the switch something major popped in my lower back/right side and went down my right leg. I won't get into the painful details but it turned out to be a popped stitch inside where the surgeon sewed the muscles together. That was a long night and i almost went back into the hospital because of the pain. It got better the next day.

I've been able to take showers regularly for the past few days as my back isn't leaking anymore and i even took a few (covering the back bandage in duct tape to keep the water out) when I shouldn't have but just couldn't deal with being covered in sweat for days on end.

At the moment I can walk ok for short periods, move around ok, take care of myself and even do laundry & dishes (carefully) but i'm going nuts having to sit/lie around while my family has to do the everyday things. I miss mowing and have a craving to fish.

That's it in a nutshell, mostly my stupidity (ie: feeling good while on oxycodonne) has prevented me from feeling better sooner. If I had a laptop i probably would've been posting weeks earlier while reclining in my comphy chair.

Below is an xray taken the other day during a follow up doc visit. He says he may let me go fishing in a few weeks. but it is really nice to finally not have to wear those uncomfortably huge wound bandaids and to be able to take showers now! Sadly, it's all just making me more aware of my thoracic problem which is only currently during sleep.

This discussion has been closed.