Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Microdisectomy or Fusion??

I have gotten a few opinions on the matter and need some help from some people that have experienced this. Quick background, 27 year old male married have a 7 month old daughter have been in a lot of pain for the better part of a year now with 2 large herniations at L4/L5 and L5/S1 . Have tried epidurals got some relief in the legs but nothing in the back itself. I am in construction and very active person always working out doing things around the house etc.. so being out of commission is been very hard on me and my family. One doctor wants to try the microdisectomy first he says I "might" get some relief but it puts me at risk of reherniating and if that doesn't work then they can always do the fusion. The second doctor doesn't think the microdisectomy will help because he thinks the pain in my back is more related to the advanced DDD I have in those discs. So he said he would rather go right to a 2 level fusion to avoid an unnecessary surgery. I completely understand both opinions and I understand that based on my age the one doctor would rather not fuse right away. But he even said that normally with someone in my line of work with my activity levels that they would go right to the fusion. I have a kid, this is effecting my job, its effecting my mental health and I know what I want to do but I am afraid of the repercussions of having a 2 level fusion at my age with my line of work and what not that I will be opening up a can of worms. I was just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and what they decided on doing and how it worked out for them.

• My surgeon told me that back surgery would only improve leg symptoms when i got my microdiscectomy. I did get some relief in the back though. The microdiscectomy is quicker to heal from. I chose the microdiscectomy and my back hurts and it will always hurt but my legs do not. My back hurts less compared to before surgery. Either way you will have back pain to some degree. Do you want leg relief? do you want a quicker recovery? = Microdisectomy. Fusion will give you leg pain relief but the down time is 3 months i think. Its your decision!!!
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • If I may suggest talk to you dr about the coflex implant it's a fusion but still allows the area some movement. I had mine done a little over 3 weeks ago my problem has been I got a staph infection in the area. It is fairly new to the USA only been approved for about 2 yrs but it may be a option for you to ask about the dr told me 6 weeks and I should be ok but that isn't happening because if my infection hope that that could possibly help