Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am so sensitive to most medications....any suggestions????

Jessica LynnJJessica Lynn Posts: 5
edited 06/19/2015 - 4:38 PM in Pain Medications
I had a cervical fusion C 4/5 in 2003, an ADCF 5/6 Jan 19th, 2015 on the right side. I have severe neck, shoulder, and hand pain and numbness. I get electric nerve pain shocks quite frequently. My right shoulder is several inches lower than my left and is really out of place from scoliosis and the neck injuries. I have left hip, sciatica, and periformis issues from an injury. I am in constant pain and feel like I can't get comfortable because of issues on my right and left. I am very sensitive to most medications and feel at a loss on what to take for long term chronic pain. Usually the side effects are worse for me then the pain because I am so prone to debilitating migraines. I've taken so many anti-inflammatory medications that I have developed an ulcer....lol I honestly feel like a mess. I try to stay as active as I can with out over doing because I hurt the most when I relax or try to sleep. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be most helpful...Thank you.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    edited 06/19/2015 - 7:21 PM
    Are you seeing doctor for pain management?

There are so many conservative treatments, seems like new ones all the time, ....there to help you get you pain under control.
    Pain management will work with you to find what is most effective for you. And to not aggravate your migraines.
    It is their specialty and I would think, definitely worth a try.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I am in the process of looking for a pain management Doctor that accepts Obama care. Do you recommend an MD, OD, a Chiropractor, or other? It is quite a process with insurance. I've been seeing an Ortho Surgeon whose only solution is surgery. I had another MRI which didn't show pinched nerves so he told me I didn't need his services and didn't know what more he could do for me, but didn't recommend any other solutions. He checked my reflexes in my right arm, but couldn't get any reflex, but doesn't seem to think that that is a big deal. I am alone in this even though I have been with someone for years....not asking for pity....It's my choice so I shouldn't complain. I feel apologetic a lot for being a burden. I've been out of work since Oct of last year. I got a small settlement because it was a work related injury (a mentally ill client threw me across the room and over a chair) and have lived off that up until now....now I'm broke and have to return to work regardless of how I feel. I'm not sure if I qualify for disability because I need a doctor's approval. The Ortho surgeon put me on light duty to find a job a month after surgery. I do want to work and have worked hard all of my life. I suppose a pain mgt Doctor could help me with all of this and figure out what to do. I'm just feeling overwhelmed by it all. Thanks so much for the response. This site helps me to not feel quite so alone in this.
  • I am completely satisfied with the effectiveness of pentazocine/naloxone for treating my sciatic (performis?) leg pain, but, unlike you, my pain is not nearly constant. About 90% of my pain accompanies muscle contractions therefore, if I sit or lie motionless, I do not need any pain medications. I only take pentazocine/naloxone before walking 10 miles for exercise. It is expensive and most insurance won't subsidize it.