Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help! It's tomorrow

Hi everyone! So I am going in for ACDF c5/c6 tomorrow June 22, 2015 at noon! During my pre-opt the PA said since it's only 1 disk it will be a breeze! Recover will be about 4-8 weeks., but he said we will talk more about that after post-opt! I am frickin out!, being a baby! Any advice from anyone!??? I have had this for about three years! The numbness the pain I want it all over but I am really really scared! I am usually not like that! My surgeon told me that there was no cause he could think of why this happened he is leaning towards genetics, has anyone else been told that. My spinal canal is very narrow compared to most people and he said that any herniation can affect it. I have two others that are herniated but they have not given me any trouble yet. Is anyone else going into surgery tomorrow? If so I will pray for you too! Wish me luck:)
Monica Gomez :)

• Doug HellDoug Hell Posts: 335
    edited 06/21/2015 - 4:21 AM
    The anterior approach is always less painful, but it holds its own set of cons.... Also, note that Surgeons almost always give the 4-8 week recovery time frame. It seems to be the standard. That isn't always the case though, so be sure to give yourself some more time and expect a longer time frame for recovery. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT and you'll find that when the brace comes off, you will have a set back for sure. And please don't rush back to work full tilt. Ensure that it is gradual return to work on a very PT basis at first.....

You wouldn't be human if you didn't worry, but know that many of us have been through this and unless the ground beneath your Surgeon crumbles, you will be fine. And always remember, "this too shall pass."

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes!

ACDF Risks and Complications

Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • Hi there. I completely understand your fear. I have had so many surgeries in my life including now 5 spinal surgeries. My latest was 2.5 weeks ago. I had a 3 level ACDF with corpectomy. For some reason I was absolutely terrified about this one.

I think it is the whole idea of it. Anyway, it was much less painful than I thought it would be. Of all my spine surgeries this by far was the one that went the best for me. My doctor told me it would be much easier than my lumbar fusions and he really was right.
    my biggest fear was everything I read about the swallow issue. Well when I woke up my throat was definately sore and it was harder to swallow but nothing like I had imagined. It gets better everyday but you will probably lose a few pounds. The hardest thing is keeping yourself hydrated. Make sure you are sipping water or liquids all the time. That is the one error I made that causes dizziness.

You will do just great! Try to remain positive going in and through your recovery. It really does help.
    I am barely taking any pain medication any longer, mostly at night before bed because I wake up stiff and that can be uncomfortable. But definately not nearly as bad as I imagined.

Also all of the pain and numbness down my right are is 100 percent resolved. About 90 percent down my left arm is resolved, the only time I get numbness down my left is when I sleep on my right side. I am looking forward to getting through recovery to understand if my neck pain is going to improve as well. Also I was getting creep up the back of your neck headaches that would trigger full blown migraines almost every day. I have had 2 very mild headaches in 2.5 weeks.

I would say so far I am thankful I chose to have this surgery done.

I will say a prayer for you that all goes well and you recover quickly. Try to take some time to breath deep, listen to some music, anything to relax yourself and allow you to go in with a positive attitude. It will help you in your recovery.

Bless you!
  • Monica0305MMonica0305 Posts: 12
    edited 06/21/2015 - 9:02 PM
    Thank you both for all your words of advice and kindness! I am so glad you are doing great for being three weeks out Deb!! It's midnight and I can't seem to get to sleep! I will pray and I know God will bless me like he has blessed all of you! Thanks again and I will defiantly check out those links Doug!! Wish me luck!!
  • Hi there,
    I am just checking in to see how things are going for you?
  • Monica0305MMonica0305 Posts: 12
    edited 06/25/2015 - 3:36 PM
    Hi Deb,
    Well I made it through! Rough time with food and I have my neck brace on hard to sleep. Really bad shoulder pain, is that normal?? feeling a little down and helpless but hopefully on a road to recovery! Thanks for checking in!!
  • Hang in there. It's going to be a bit of a roller coaster ride between now and recovery. When you take the brace off, that'll be another bump in the road, but deal with it as it comes. Everything is angry right now, so expect some weird sensations and pain. Stick to what your NS says. Do only what he permits. Time is your answer now. How is today?

Keep us posted. We r here to help.

Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • So it's now been 1 week and 1 day since ACDF C5-C6 I was told by doctor to wear my collar at all times until my appointment today on 7/9. I had most of my pain on my right side: arm hand fingers and shoulder. I am now experiencing some pain on my left side just my shoulder blade and shoulder I thought maybe it's from sleeping in my recliner??? Pain feels more like a deep pressure with a constant "strain" feeling or like I over did it at the gym feeling. I am going to mention it when I go in on the 9th. I hope it ends soon and wondered if anyone else has had pain on opposite side of their body after surgery?? Eating is better but still have to clear my throat and have to "overly" swallow with dense foods! I tried to ride in the car for a few miles but had pain in neck, so I am stuck at home! I am trying not to take my pain meds and I am taking sleeping pills cause I can't sleep at night! Thanks for all the support from everyone cousins have done this without you guys :)
  • I had an artificial disc replacement atc5/c6 on the 15th. I had my nurse visit a week later and was having terrible shoulder pain exactly like you described. She said that the surgeon had to elongate my neck to be able to do everything which strained the muscles. My nurse said it could take as long as 3 months for that pain to go away. Maybe your experiencing the same thing? Hopefully it gets better quick and your recovery goes smooth!