Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New and need advice

I have a herniated disc at either C4 or C5 and I also have slight disc degeneration below that. I got the MRI of my neck 2 years ago and I have had lots of neurological problems with my condition. At my worst I have trouble standing and I get spells of dizziness. For a while I thought I had a neurological disease, but I am starting to realize it has to do with my spine. I like to lift weights for exercise, but I often injure/tighten my neck when lifting weights which seems to defeat the purpose. I have lost a lot of weight and my neck looks very skinny now, I hate it and its depressing. I am currently doing physical therapy. I am a 25 year old guy, turning 26 soon.

I noticed that I get weakness on one side of my body when I get neck pain and the tightness/sharp pain travels up the side of my head. The injury and tightness is on the left side of my neck. I tried to find the report for my last MRI to give more details but it seems to be not available because it was too long ago.

One thing that is strange that I get and I am wondering if others have this is I wake up most mornings being unable to open my eye. My left eye is shut and feels like it is too tired to wake up and open. Eventually after 10-15 minutes it is fine. Has anyone ever heard of this before? My doctors have no idea.

My main question is this: when is it a good idea to do another MRI to look for worsening of disc problems? Is surgery the last thing I would ever want to do? I feel very lost in all this, any advice is very appreciated.

Thank you,

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Please click on the above welcome for information about SH site and information to navigate the site for best benefit to you.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I am confused about what I need to write to get a response from people on these forums. I guess I need to go somewhere else.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    I remember when I first started here, years ago, my post also went unanswered and i posted and I asked if I need special word to trigger a response!

Eventually, I found my way around. Please be patient.

It may be that no one with shared experience , ex, your situation with your eye...as I too have no experience and don't know what to say. Or those who can relate have not yet seen your post.

There are no medical professionals on this site, so no immediate response to that effect.

Not that much time has passed.
    Many of us here deal with chronic pain, as you do, and are unable to even be on this site unless we are feeling able. So this site may go days, weeks, without being read by some one with shared experiences.
    Please be patient.

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Ok, thank you for your response. I understand that this is not a replacement for a MD, just looking for some people I can relate with.