Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

21 year old injured back while weightlifting. Advice please?

edited 06/22/2015 - 4:09 PM in Spinal Stenosis
Hey everybody. This may be somewhat of a long post and I am very sorry for that, I am just hoping that there's somebody here who can make me feel even a tad bit better and give me some peace of mind because I have been in tears for the past hour after thinking about my injury and the potential severity of it after googling "spinal stenosis," and reading that it's not curable.

Another reason I am posting this is because my doctor referred me to a neurosurgeon, but the neurosurgeons office hasn't called me back yet and sitting around for the past couple of days since the MRI and just thinking about whether I'll ever be able to play sports again, hell, whether this could potentially get worse and I'll be able to live a normal, long and healthy life has been eating me up inside. I am aware many users on this forum suffer with even worse conditions and problems and I truly am sorry for your conditions and wish you all the best.

Long story short- Last Sunday I was squatting/weightlifting and on the way down I experienced a terrible pain shoot through my whole body and was unable to move properly for about two days. I went to my doctor with a pain level of 10/10 and she gave me an X-ray that came out negative but then told me I should get an MRI done. Last Friday I got my MRI results and this is the listing of the final impressions, as stated by the reviewing doctor: (my doctor told me I have genetically shortened pedicles, which is what is complicating things, or something along those lines)

1) Straightening of the normal lumbar lordosis in the setting of lumbar levoscoliosis. The apex of levoscoliosis is at L3-4, with the angle approximating 5 degrees.

2) Constellation of findings consistent with congenitally shortened pedicles, as described above

3) Moderate L4-5 and mild L5-S1 central stenosis. At both levels, the central stenosis is secondary to a degenerative combination of disc bulging, ligamentous hypertrophy and facet arthropathy, all of which is identified in the setting of congenitally shortened pedicles

4) No levels of focal disc herniation, or other levels of central or foraminal stenosis, are present

5) Otherwise unremarkable MRI of the lumbar spine without contrast

With all that said (and I know most of the users on this forum aren't doctors, but sufferers of spinal problems themselves) is there anybody here who can maybe answer a couple of questions I have? My doctor prescribed me pain killers but I am not interested in them anymore as I took them for 5 days straight and the first day off, I felt totally depressed and it was a terrible feeling that I will endure pain if I have to do to avoid that mental feeling again. WITH that said.... I do not feel pain NEARLY as bad as I did when I first injured my back. Actually I've improved my posture and focused on that heavily and I do not feel terrible pain at all anymore, only some discomfort when I move my back in certain positions, etc.

Does anybody believe playing sports again a possibility with the aforementioned MRI results/conditions?

Is even mild and moderate central stenosis completely un-curable?

Is this something that can naturally develop into something worse, even if I do not further injure my spine/back? Or is it one of those situations where as long as I remain injury free from here on out, it will remain as bad as it currently is but not get worse (aside from progressive degeneration due to age)?

One last question....... If my current condition stays the way it is and does not get worse, is this something that can lead to learning disabilities, problems with memory loss, etc, or is that something that only happens if you further injure it/it gets worse?

Once again I apologize for this long post and I know this is a huge wall of text and rant that probably doesn't even make a lot of sense, and I'm not even sure if anybody knows the answers to any of my questions, but at the least it felt good to let this out and release some of my frustration and anger at myself for injuring myself. Thanks :(
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,940
    edited 06/22/2015 - 4:47 PM
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Please click on the Welcome and you will receive information about SH and how to best navigate this site for best benefit to you.
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History