Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

After 10 years

I got a letter in the mail saying that the office I go to is closing as of July 1st. We were given about 3 1/2 weeks notice . Of course, we were given the option of traveling to the city to the other office, but that trip each month is just too much at this point for me.
I saw my PM the day after I got the letter (adore my PM doctor), she just joined the practice about a year ago, but she's a sweetheart. She only found out a few days before the letters were sent by the doctors who own the practice. I was hoping she would be opening her own office but she is now having to take a new position in one of the hospitals around here.
Anyway, the search for a new PM started. I scheduled consults/interviews with the first two....first one was very nice, went over everything with me, including my current surgical consult and recommendations, current meds etc., examined me and spent well over an hour and a half during my visit. He however does no medical management, but still spent a lot of time going over everything and examine imaging, records etc to make sure that I understood the seriousness of my current spine condition and to advise me not to let any pm perform procedures to the very significant risk if paralysis at this point.
The second one is a more conventional pm, procedures, therapies and medical management as well. Would /should have been good since I am well aware of how serious the conditions in my spine are and the risks due to the serious instability and canal stenosis- however, she repeatedly interrupted me, didn't bother to read the reports from the surgeon or worse yet the MRI or CT scan , wanted to immediately schedule injections, physical therapy , trigger point injections and raise my medication dosages and change some others. In most situations her recommendations would be okay, but they are not okay when the surgical consult clearly says that the canal diameter is the size of a sharpened pencil lead, and that no room exists for any interventional treatments such as injections or physical therapy due to the significant risk of paralysis. When I tried to clarify her recommendations or get her to look at the images or better yet contact the surgeon to discuss her recommendations with him, she just proceeded to ignore that. Obviously, not a good fit...I might be willing to risk injections and obviously physical therapy but not when the doctor is showing me right from the outset she is not even willing to listen at the very first appointment, what's going to occur later??
Anyway, I returned to another pm I consulted with several years ago....He was much like the first consult, listened, went over everything, reviewed all the images, reports etc and will be going to him from now on.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    edited 06/23/2015 - 9:12 AM
    That second doctor did not appear to listen to what you were saying.

I think sometimes this is a product of our knowledge, or putting it bluntly the 'experiences' we have gained through all the years living in chronic pain.

So , when you talk to a doctor for the first time, I believe they take he approach that you are basically naive and things you say might just come from a textbook. They don't realize how much in depth knowledge you do have. So, when you say something, instead of listening to what you are saying, they just shut that out and figure you are just blabbing out key words.

Sandi, I dont have to tell you how important it is to have the right relationship with your doctor.

Good luck
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • The thing that concerned me, was her not bothering to either look at the images herself, or to consider the surgical consult report. It was as though she dismissed everything, without a thought.
    The surgeons report is very clear that the canal is so narrowed and my lumbar spine is so unstable, that his concern is a slight swelling or accident, or injection could be the thing that pushes me from standing to paralysis....he is surprised that I am still standing on my own two feet...I don't expect any doctor to just take my word for anything, which is why I brought everything with me...but dismissing everything outright like that makes me concerned about going ahead with this surgery and any possible problems, if she is so quick to dismiss things on a first consult...
    I want a doctor who is going to listen, and work with the surgeon , not in direct opposition. I can't take that risk.

• PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    I know when my own doctor is away or called out, whatever, I am so frustrated with whomever is covering! It takes sometime for the new docs to understand that I'm not beginning at point A. There "was" a fellow working at my Pain Clinic who could get me to cry every time. He'd come into the room, look at the notes and begin dictating his "findings" for that visit although he had not even looked at me or talked to me! Then, when I discussed this with him (finally) he went in the other direction and MISdiagnosed an aortic aneurism! He was looking so hard to find something he saw what didn't exist. I finally had to tell the attending who I really like.

Last July was my attending's first day on the job and I was one of his first patients (as a big boy I tell him!) Although he was less experienced he listened very well and asked questions based on what I had said. I used to speak to Med School students and first year residents in a particular field. I have been seriously misdiagnosed several times because doctors did not listen well enough. One of my doctors realized this and asked that I speak to his students once a year. (I've since moved pretty far away but I liked it!) So much time is spent teaching young doctors all medical information and new gadgets that no one enforces that their most valuable treatment is listening.

If your doc isn't listening, drop a metal bed pan and then walk out (hoping you can.)

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    I, too, want to wish you the best in your search for new PM doc.

It's not easy to have to go through this...interviewing process..while still trying to take care of your physical pain.

There has to be someone out there. It's like looking for a specific needle in a stack of needles.

Best of luck to you!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I did find one.....I liked the first one, but for me right now, an interventional pm is not going to work.....the second, conventional pm would have but had a huge problem listening .....
    So I went with my first choice, which was a consult that I had a few years ago, which I liked then when I consulted with him....
    Finding a new pm isn't easy but with a bit of preparation ahead of time, and research , it wasn't as difficult as it could have been I guess.
    It took me less than a week ,to schedule and see three and make a decision.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    edited 06/24/2015 - 7:44 PM
    I missed that you mentioned that in your first post here.....oops...

That's great! And you found one so quickly!
    I'm happy for you!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I am glad that that part is taken care of.
    I just wanted someone who finds themselves in a similar situation to know that another can be found , with a little effort .