Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Here ~ Bone on Bone at L4 L5

BecachardBBecachard Posts: 2
edited 06/23/2015 - 2:35 PM in Degenerative Disc Disease
My name is Becca and I have been dealing with multiple chronic back issues for nearly 25 years. I have 3 teenage boys, 14, 16, 18. My husband is retiring from the Air Force in August. I was offered surgery at age 23 to repair a couple of tears and damage to my L4 - L5 and S1. I declined. I was too young and the odds weren't good enough. I had up to that point done physical therapy, occupational therapy, daily exercise, walking, tens stimulation and ice and heat. I probably used motrin for pain but I can't really remember if it ever worked. Fast forward 13 years. The agony has gotten so bad, I've started gaining weight. A lot of weight. Movement has become all but impossible and I need a cane to walk. An mri was ordered and I went to see a neurosurgeon. He came in the room and basically said to me, as I was lying on the exam table because sitting was so painful, he told me that the damage to my back was not bad enough to cause the kind of pain I was in. He ordered hydrotherapy and more regular physical therapy. I was heartbroken. I needed an answer. There had to be something causing g this debilitating pain. I did the hydrotherapy and regular physical therapy and also saw a chiropractor. The chiropractor provided some relief as my SI joint was subluxated. In the three years since that visit, I have joined a gym, walked endless miles, tried various pain killers and muscle relaxers, had 3 SI injections, 3 facets- both sides, 3 epidurals, and 2 rhizotomy. I've tried massage and accupunture. My psychologist keeps telling me to push through the pain! Strengthen my core and it will get better. Now, I'm very aware I'm overweight. I don't need a constant reminder and I know the extra weight doesn't help. In March of 2015 I went to the ER, nearly unable to walk. They shot me up with a cocktail of pain killer, muscle relaxer, and steroid and ordered an MRI. By the next day I was feeling no pain. It was the first time in 20 years I was without pain. Well, it was not to last. I saw a different neurosurgeon this last week and finally!! Some hope. The news was not good but I finally had a reason for my pain. I don't know the actual medical name for it but but between L4 L5 and L5 and S1 I am bone on bone. The two above have pretty serious tears. I will be undergoing a discagram, which I've been informed is extremely unpleasant and I am being scheduled for surgery. I don't have a date yet which is very stressful for me but at least now I have some hope.
Becca ~ DDD, Bone on Bone at L5 S1, original injury 25 years ago...