Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Myelomalacia Disappeared on MRI??

Hello all,

Please please please, take the time to read this. I'm having such a hard time living with so much pain. I'd appreciate any and all insight. I had an MRI done about a year ago, and it mentioned that I may have some myelomalacia. The exact wording was, "There is a focal central disc protrusion at T5-T6 causing mass effect on the cord anteriorly with a punctate focus of increased T2 signal in the cord, representing myelomalacia."

Because of this, 6 months later the doctor requested another MRI to see what had changed. In the new MRI, however, the radiologist wrote the the myelomalacia has "mysteriously disappeared". Can this happen?

I've been dealing with all over body pain (burning and tingling in joints, aching joints, burning arms, burning legs, burning ribs, burning head and face, burning back, burning skin) and I've had mutliple MRI's, EMG's, and Nerve Conductions to no avail. They say my findings (5 herniated discs) are not consistent with my symptoms.What seems funny to me is that whenever I sit for long periods of time or exert my back (such as in sex or exercising) the pain gets permanently worse and even affecting all other areas of my body.

Anyways, here is the MRI that reports that the myelomalacia "mysteriously disappeared".

HISTORY: 28-year old male with possible myelomalacia on prior MRI

EXAM: MR THORACIC SPINE NO IVCON. Noncontrast MRI of the thoracic spine was performed at 3.0 Tesla.

PRIOR STUDY: 8/8/2014

FINDINGS: There is anatomic alignment in the thoracic region of the spine. There is no spondylolisthesis. Vertebral body heights are preserved. There is mild disc dessiccation in the lower thoracic levels.

At T5-6 there is a central disc protrusion with effacement of anterior thecal space and deformity of the cord. There is no abnormal cord signal. The previously described altered signal is not seen to advantage.

At T6-7 there is a central disc protrusion with mild canal stenosis. There is no foraminal narrowing.

At T9-10, there is a right paracentral disc protrusion, with effacement of the thecal soace and deformity of the cord. There is no foraminal narrowing.

There is no foraminal narrowing throughout the thoracic spine. The soft tissues are unremarkable.

IMPRESSION: Central disc protrusion at T5-6 with mild canal stenosis. The previously described altered cord signal is not seen to advantage. Disc protrusions with mild canal stenosis at T6-7 and T9-10 are also unchanged from the prior MRI.
John Calderaio

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    ...who is able to comment on or interpret your MRI or any other of your test results ..according to Forum Rules.

My pain management doctor would always read any of my testing himself, the actual CD. He would then often comment on mistakes made by written impressions...things noted that were not there and things that were missed.

My doctor made it clear to me that the MRI and other testing, are not diagnoses. They are tools for doctor to assess in treatment of me.

I'm sorry for your continuing and sounds like worsening pain.
    Are you seeing a pain management doctor?

My primary tried to work with my pain and accompanying issues for two years before referring me to pain management.
    Best thing that happened to me!
    Getting the edge taken off of my pain was my priority....that and also keeping me out of the ER.
    Before that, my pain seemed to take on a life of its own. It was controlling me.

I wish you the very best in seeking relief of your pain.
    Please keep us posted on what your doctor has to say and I for one, would be interested in any treatments that bring you relief.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,807
    Two things that jump out to me:

First, the symptoms you are having are very consistent with what I was / still experience. Full body burning. I had all the testing done you had to no avail also. The two tests for me that finally revealed the issue were 1. QSART/Sweat test 2. punch biopsy
    This led to the autonomic dysfunction diagnosis and small fiber neurapathy, both described to a tee what i had been going through. From there with more testing and better doctors know now that a spinal cord injury started this. I would ask your dr about #2 its very easy and fast . The small fiber nerves are your sensory nerves and they can never be deteted with nerve conduction and EMG as thats a large fiber test.

Second, did they compare visually laid out side by side your current and past MRI ? They said a thoracic herniation mysteriously healed once so i requested a comparison. The radiologist called back and said "sorry its still there I just missed it" and they put an addendum to my new report saying upon review the herniation is still there.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • JohnnyToledoJJohnnyToledo Posts: 36
    edited 07/06/2015 - 4:29 AM
    @itsautonomic, what sympyoms exactly were you experiencing? I'd like to compare them to my own...
    John Calderaio
  • EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 07/06/2015 - 6:27 AM
    It's really important that you don't stop pushing for answers. In my experience chronic pain can only be managed effectively once they have the correct diagnosis.

I suffer from osteoarthritis. My lumbar spine, SI joint etc are a complete mess causing extreme pain that only got worse. All of my pains can clearly be explained by my diagnostic findings. Years ago my pain wasn't really managed in any way. I started to experience all kinds of 'weird symptoms' many of which are very similar to what you describe. (like itsautonomic) I was diagnosed with so many different muscle/nerve conditions. I was told I had every pressure/trigger point for the old fibromyalgia diagnosis! No explanation seemed correct though. At one point I recall telling my husband that my lumbar pain was nothing compared to this new stuff.
    Eventually I was taken off of the huge list of meds I was taking with no help & I got my lumbar pain managed. All of the other 'stuff' went away!! I really don't know. As I said, please don't give-up searching for answers. In my experience unmanaged pain can drive our bodies crazy!! I just wanted to say, "I know!" & I'm terribly sorry. I was so frightened when I didn't know what was going on. ;-(
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,807
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.