Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hardware Removal - C5-C7

Bakground information
I have had an ACDF in October of 2012
I failed to fuse and had a posterior fusion in June 2014 with a spinal bone growth stimulator
I started to have recurrent staphylococcus aureus infections in December 2012 - at least its not MRSA
My spleen is enlarged from the repeated staph infections
My blood counts are a bit low on the anemic side, just on the bottom edge of normal

Several weeks ago I had a irrigation and debridement of my posterior cervical fusion scar. This procedure was to try to clear up an infection that started as a boil in my incision last December. eight weeks after the surgery, three courses of antibiotics, and consults with a infectious disease, wound clinic, and my surgeon have led to three separate recommendations for hardware removal.

What kind of recovery am I looking at? I am expecting a long recovery as they are going to have to remove both the back and front hardware. The big issue is I have expended all of my sick time, vacation time, and only have about 6 weeks of partial disability left. I am really worried that this is going to be a long recovery and since I am the only income in my house, a financial disaster from me and my family.

Tomorrow afternoon I see the surgeon to get the ball rolling on my surgery date and disability application. Any thoughts or words of encouragement would be most helpful as I feel like the rug has been pulled out from under me right now.
2012 C5-C7 ACDF with fixation - failed to fuse
June 2014 - Planned revision surgery

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    I've not had surgery,so can't speak to that.

But I wanted to say, I can't even image what it's been like to live with all the complications since your surgery.
    It sounds good that doctors all in agreement as to how to proceed and take care of your wound.

Are you able to renegotiate with disability ? It seems it to be from your work.

Would you be able to consult a Disabiliy attorney , who works for you, and start that process? It is no out of pocket to you.
    It doesn't mean it would be a forever thing, but just as long as you need, to get back on your feet.

I followed attorney's suggestions and received Disability within six months. In fact, he did many of the communications, and I never saw a courtroom.

I will be interested in following your post and I wish you nothing but the very best!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• After I see the doc today I am going to see if I can re-activate my short term advisability claim since this is a complication of that surgery. I do have some short term disability left and I am trying to avoid a long term claim as I am the sole provider for my family. My wife is disabled from a back injury and the amount of income she receives from disability is laughable. One of the issue I have that I am 6 months from being fully vested in the retirement plan at work, after I become fully vested I will have additional options available to me.
    2012 C5-C7 ACDF with fixation - failed to fuse
    June 2014 - Planned revision surgery
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    ....in your retirement plan....in six months. That must feel ..so close and yet so far.

That is quite the carrot dangling in front of you and most certainly is an understandable goal.
    I hope the six months passes quickly for you!

I wish you the best at reactivating your short term disability!
    And good recovery for when doctors decide on date for surgery.!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History