Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 weeks post op from L4/L5 discectomy hemi laminectomy

Hi there,

I am pretty new here but have been reading through all the posts and have found everyone's experiences so helpful! I did have some questions with my situation and wanted to see if others had any input or advice.

Everyone talks about how much they are improving over the course of time since their surgery and how much they are trying to not overdue it but at the same time increase their walking. I am finding it very hard to walk at all and have begun to get concerned with it. After my surgery I felt a definite improvement in my posture and my ability to stand up straight, as I had been only able to walk hunched over for months. I also felt much less leg pain the first week after surgery. Prior to surgery I was 90% leg pain and 10% back pain.

Over the last 2 weeks I have started to get some pretty severe sciatic pain in my right leg from my buttock to my foot any time that I have been walking for more than 5 minutes. The pain is so bad I need to immediately lay down to relieve it. This pain is worse than the pain I had and was used to before the surgery.

My doctor said its nothing to worry about and that it can take 6 months to a year to completely go away and in some cases it can be permanent. They told me to keep taking the pain meds and that we could start to worry more if things didn't settle down in the next 6+months.

I guess I just feel like something is wrong. The pain is super intense and at times electric feeling, like when I first herniated my back. I don't feel like I am getting better or making progress.. Instead I feel it's getting worse.

Any experiences you may have had with the same things would be helpful to ease my mind. Or advice on how to make myself more comfortable and be able to increase my walking.