Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Physical Therapy - Problem from E-STIM?

KirstinKKirstin Posts: 1
edited 06/26/2015 - 4:53 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi All,
This is my first ever online post so hope I'm doing it right. :)
I had c5-6 cervical fusion on March 24, 3 months ago, and am doing physical therapy. After 5+ years of chronic neck and arm pain and every conservative treatment I went for the surgery with a reputable neurosurgeon who gave me a 60% chance I would think the surgery was worth it and very small chance of being worse.
Well, as I've returned to work full time on the computer and some stress, my muscle tension and pain are worse than presurgery. I've considered going back to part time work but for financial reasons and my career I've been taking it day by day and hoping PT would help.
In PT 4 days ago I received what I believe is called E-STIM where the therapist rubbed my right trap muscle with the jelly and E-STIM unit. He's done his before, but this time it got really hot and he focused on one spot too long. He was talking to another patient and I pulled away twice saying it was too hot. His arm followed with me and as I pulled away and then he moved it around a little more but it was still pretty warm and focused on the one spot. I was told before it shouldn't be painful but a little uncomfortable at certain points on the body. I'm wishing I would have been more firm with him.
Anyway, about an hour after I got home I started having significant pain in that muscle and shoulder- most severe pain I've experienced (except for immediately post op). At times I think it's nerve pain and others muscle. I now have missed several days of work and can't sleep. I don't know if something happened that I won't recover from and I'm terrified. I don't know what to do- give it time, see a neurologist, an orthopedic, go to the ER, call pain mgmt for more meds (already on lots of pain meds and muscle relaxers), consider a nerve med (hate the side effects and don't know which would work)... I'm panicked that I'm going to lose my job, house, car and ability to care for my son.
Has anyone had a bad experience with E-STIM and if so what happened and how did you get relief?
Physical therapist says we didn't do anything intense at the visit of course and says to use all the pain mgmt techniques we've talked about and to follow up with pain mgmt for injections. My surgeon is on vacation for 2 weeks so I can't get any advice there... When i called before this incident to complain about pain back at work his nurse has told me before to see pain mgmt or neurologist. She did say they'd sign paperwork for reduced work schedule if I need that. Any advice on how to heal from this asap? I'm stepping up my muscle relaxer regimine and lots of ice.
Kirstin
advertisement

Comments

• That's not an E-stim. An E-stim makes your muscles contract and relax. Sounds like he did some sort of ultra sound therapy and possibly burned you. Try putting some aloe vera or a burn cream on it and see if that helps. The burning pain from a burn can mimic the burning pain from a nerve.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,941
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Please click on the Welcome and learn ,ore about SH and how to navigate this site for best benefit to you.
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History