Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New member with a long and complicated story

MedMysteryMMedMystery Posts: 1
edited 06/26/2015 - 5:53 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, my name is Neana and I'm 30 years old. I have various medical conditions including type 2 diabetes and conditions causing me to be deficient in various hormones, which also means I am overweight. I also have dizziness and balance issues.

I have been dealing with pain in various parts of my body for several years. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my left knee a few years ago with some cartilage degeneration. I take Tramadol and paracetamol regularly to try to keep the pain levels down, but had to stop taking anti-inflammatory tablets due to gastric ulcers last year.

I've had back pain on and off but nothing particularly serious or concerning except some sacroiliac joint inflammation about 2 years ago.

Last July I had a fall and landed in the recovery position, ending up with a displaced/depressed fracture of my left tibeal plateau (where the knee and thigh meet as I understand it). I had no surgery, it was put in a brace and I had a little bed based physiotherapy and was hoisted out into a chair. I was in hospital for a month, transferred to another to await a care package being put in place at home and within a week transferred back as an emergency with gastric ulcers and bleeding. After surgery, 2 weeks in Intensive care, 2 in High Dependency and 3 more on a diabetic ward, I spent 3 weeks in a rehab unit. In all that time I had very little Physio input and could do very little by the time I got home. I had by then been in hospital a total of 4 months.

Now I can do quite a lot more but still only able to walk very short distance with a frame. I therefore do a lot of sitting around but try to adjust position regularly.

A few weeks ago while one of my carers was helping me have a wash, I was standing for her to wash my lower areas and suddenly felt like something in my lower back gave way. I had to sit down quickly because the pain was really nasty. My back ached quite badly for a couple of days.

I have had a few repeats of this episode since, at first about once a fortnight but then about 3 times in the past week. Each time something feels like it gives way, pops or releases in the middle of my lower back and i fall backwards, thankfully this has always been onto a seat of some kind.

I haven't yet had chance to mention this to my GP, I'm just back from 2 weeks holiday, but will soon. What concerns me is that I'm supposed to be getting up and around, doing more and increasing my mobility gradually. But these episodes happen so suddenly and without warning that I am fearful that i will be walking with no seat behind me when an episode happens and I'll end up down on the floor before I know it. If that happens I'm not going to be able to get up again.

I know there may be a psychological element to this - try not to think about it or let it hold me back, but the consequences if I did have an episode do worry me.

I just wondered if anyone on here had any ideas what might be going on? Or what to do. Obviously I understand I can't expect a medical opinion.

Thanks for reading and for any ideas.