Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical collar suggestion

I'm looking for suggestion on cervical collars. I'm 17 days post opp on my ACDF C5/6. The doc has me in a soft collar. Thru this process I don't really feel like it supports my neck and now realize he didn't intend it to be necessarily sportive. His intention was more of a reminder to not move my neck much. I have noticed myself pushing it up with my hands to help support my neck (heads are heavy), especially when walking or sanding. The one I have is a 3.5 inch foam collar.

I would like to find one that is taller and more sportive. My intention is to give my neck a break from time to time (per doc recommendation). My C6/7 will eventually need to be done as well and I hope to put it off as long as I can. I have moderate nerve damage from the length of time my nerves were compressed and before surgery suffered from neck and arm weakness among many other things. Post surgery the weakness (honestly every symptom) is about 25% worse but am hopeful this will resolve overtime. He is fine with me using the current collar I have but I have a longer neck than most.

One more thing. Due to the damage and the condition of my other disk my doc has already stated that I will need to ware the collar off and on for the foreseeable future in addition to being in the car as a passenger or on an airplane.

• I just had Plfwith instrumentation on June 10. I was put into a Miami J collar size3. I found it too big and it rubbed my chin raw. Was sent by surgeons office to a prosthetic place here to be fitted for a smaller one where my entire jaw is resting on the top of the ℅,Larry. A 2.5 is perfect. I'm still padding the collar with flat makeup sponges where my jaw was bruised and my chin where it was raw. A week with the new one and I'm doing very well. You can order them, but see if your surgeon will write a perscriptin for one. They probably.have them on hand in their office. Good luck and keep us posted.