Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long for nerve root block to start working ?

PaininfootPPaininfoot Posts: 35
edited 06/29/2015 - 7:43 AM in Pain Management
I have had about four of these in the past and three of them worked very well - they mostly started to kick in pretty quickly. I had a microdiscectomy three weeks ago and a MRI shows that the S1 nerve root is inflamed . So I had another nerve root block five days ago but there is no sign whatsoever of it reducing the pain ( which is in my foot) Do they take longer to work after surgery I wonder ? I'd appreciate your thoughts !

• To expect post injection? If you have had them previously and they were helpful, then you already know the time frame post injection if it is going to help.
    Are you sure that it was a nerve block and not an esi injection instead?

• But he said it was for a 'different problem' (inflamed nerve) than the problem ( herniated disc) I had pre-op.. That is why I thought time frame could be different .
  • Has the same time frame ,no matter what the problem is. It sounds like he did an epidural steroid injection for an inflamed nerve, which can take several days to start working, for the steroid to start taking effect.
    For inflammation an esi is the typical injection done.
    I think that if I were you, and it isn't helping , I would call and ask to make sure what type of injection was done, and how long it should be before you know if it's going to help, unless you have the paperwork from the procedure. That should tell you what was done.