Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Implant rejection

Just wondering if anyone has ever had there body reject a metal implant before. I'm now at 5 weeks post op from the coflex implants and things just haven't been going right my back around the incision is still very swollen still bleeding and leaking other fluids badly with some puss mixed in. The dr wants to go back in and clean out the area but I was just wanting to know some signs my body is rejecting the implants and if this not healing swelling and all that could be caused by the implants any info would be greatly appreciate since I can't find to much searching Google and the like

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    but I would have to go along with what your doctor is saying.

The word 'rejection' has so many meanings in the medical field. When you talk about the incision area and its condition, to me, I would be thinking possible infection, not rejection. Still your doctor should take a look at it
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I will be seeing him this week. They did a culture about 3 weeks ago I was on antibiotics at the time but they said no infection was found. Im just wondering if some of these could be caused by me being allergic to the implants or something of that nature.
  • SukhreSSukhre San Diego, CAPosts: 181
    They did the allergic tests of the metal before the surgery. The risks are probably less than 1%.but its still worth knowing ahead of time. I asked that question to the doctor, he says ACDF rejections are rare compared with artificial knee cap/joint or other bone surgery implants.
    MRI shows C4-C7 severe steonosis. Pain in hand.
  • This was a titanium implant I didn't even think to ask for the test to be done before hand. This surgery was a rush deal I had seen 3 other surgeons and they just kept doing injection after injection which one was hurting our bank account due to a doubled out of pocket for insurance and fuel to and from as non were withing a 2 to 3 hr drive and the injections fave a week at most of relief. So when this dr said we can do the coflex I jumped head first not thinking because I havery lived with this pain for going on 10 yrs plus my wife was pushing me saying this was the best option and really it has been a mess with this I'm now 5 weeks out to the day and should be back to work without any problem but I have been bleeding a lot plus the infection right out of surgery and pain is where it was at before or worse then before the surgery
  • Wow, that sounds like you have issues still. So sorry to hear about them. I asked my PA how you know if your body is rejecting the implant. I had same concerns. I had a 1 level ACDF 6 weeks ago. He told me that I would have pain at surgical site. I have no neck pain. Hope things start to turn around for you.
  • I do have pain at the sight to. This past weekend the incision started open more and more it is now about half way open. My wife and I are on the rd now to see the Dr hopefully he will get this fixed because it progressively getting worse with the area opening up more and more each time we change out the bandage which is now 3 times a day
  • Was seen by my dr today my body is not rejecting the implants. I they missed a pocket of infection and it has spread onto the hardware and surrounding tissue so I will be going back first part of next week to be cleaned out and the area closed up. I really hope this one does the trick my body is not handling this very well I have lost 10 plus pounds in 5 weeks I'm runfevers and all of that fun stuff
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    I'm very glad you're doctor determined you are not rejecting your implants.
    Also, glad your doctor is going back in there next week to clean it up and close you up.

I can only imagine your exhaustion in dealing with this infection and with changing bandgages three times a day, and overall well being just feeling crummy.

Hopefully, post op your fever will go down and your appetite increase and back to your more normal weight.

Thanks for keeping us posted on how you re doing!

Wishing you the very best with next week clean up surgery !

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• This has been a wild ride to say the least. I've contacted a attorney because this is ridiculous how he has handled this. I have complained since being the surgical center that something wasn't right and he kept refusing to see me and telling me over and over I had nothing to worry about. He relied solely on culture testing no other lab work was ever done and even insisted that cultures are 100% effective which I have learned they are only about 50% effective. He is also trying to back track by going after the nurse that discharged me after he had told he to do so without seeing me. I know this will be a uphill battle but if he does this to others then he needs to face the consequences. If it wasn't for my wife and I both keeping on him taking pictures of how it has worsned over time I probably would still be being told it's nothing your ok it's all in your head and the like by him
  • Garrett_85 How are you doing today? Just checking in on old discussion Ive been scheduled for decompression surgery with a coflex at the L4-L5