Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Having first injection on Wednesday

Hello everyone, I'm having my first injection this Wednesday and just am pretty nervous. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,836
    edited 06/28/2015 - 2:32 PM
    I am going to assume its going to be a ESI (Epidural Spinal Injection)

Before you read the scores of previous comments on this topic, take a look at Injections This is going to cover much more than just the ESI.

But when it comes to ESIs. I have some definite feelings about this. I have had almost a dozen of them over the years, some have helped, some not, and only one caused problems.

The mos important thing for the doctor to think about when an ESI is administered. is that they need assistance. That comes in terms of fluoroscope or other X-Ray assistance. It is much too difficult to go in with the naked eye. Some doctors feel they can, but I would resist any doctor that tried. My one failure with ESI was because of a doctor who felt that they did not need any electrical assistance and they could do it naked. Big mistake. You dont want them hitting a nerve.

Put that aside, ESIs are tame. Hopefully , you have it in a surgical like room. They take your vitals and for some they will give you a mild sedative. The initial pinch is the first needle to numb the area. Sort of like a minor minor minor bee sting. Then the actual needle with the steroid is injected. You should not be feeling this.

So, up to now about 15 minutes of work. Then they should bring you to a recovery type of room where you will stay relaxed for about 15 minutes. After that, they will offer some beverage and crackers. Once again take your vitals. Then they will release you to your driver. Most hospitals, out patient clinics, etc will not administer ESI unless they know you have a driver.

The one that I mentioned that failed me... Never asked me about a driver, never had me wait in a room. Injection, in/out and shambam, out the door ...

The first 24 hours, you may feel some pain in the actual injection area. Icing will help. It may take from 24-72 hours before you feel any results of the injections. Its ot going to be an earth shattering change. It may just be minor, it will take some of the pain and discomfort away. For some, that doesnt always happen.

The purpose of these injections are two fold. One is to provide the patient with some relief and hopes that the problem can start to take care of itself without further interventions. This does happen for many people. Two As a temporary measure holding off until surgery is required.

Good luck and here is hoping that everything works out for you in a positive way.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • For your reply. I am having a caudal injection to help with my tailbone pain and yes it will be at a surgical center. My only fear is the recovery process as I have heard it may be pretty brutal. I'm a college student and worried I may have to miss a lot of class. I am planning on not going to class after the procedure but will have to go the next day. Do you think this may be an issue? Thank you for the reply it is greatly appreciated.
    There are many posts here regarding caudal injections. As always you will read some positive and some negative.

To me, any injection needs to be done in a sterile environment. So, right away you are on the positive side with that.

I would agree with not going to class right after the procedure. You may be sore for a couple of days. Can you talk to your professor about this and get some work to be done upfront? (of course, I am dating myself when we had professors that you could talk to about workload and scheduling)

As far as the next day... Generally, the first 24 hours is soreness from the injection itself. After that, it can be help or soreness ... Hard to predict. Ice, ice and more ice the first 24 hours ... That should help with any discomfort.

How long is your class the following day?. I know this may sound a bit weird, but would you be able to bring in a cushion or something else to sit on that make me you more comfortable? Is there a potential for you standing during the class?

I am sure you are real nervous and anxious about this procedure. I know that many doctors doe not go into a lot of details about the procedure, what to expect, etc.. Many say, "Oh it will be fine"

And it could very likely be fine. I always like to prepare for the IFs

The last thing I will leave you with is this.. The Class may be very important, but nothing is more important than your health!
  • so I have to be there for about 3 hours but luckily I can stand up and move around a lot. I already do take my cushion with me everywhere, so that won't be a problem. Should I bring some ice packs with me to class as well? Unfortunately, it is a summer course and I can't miss more than a day, as I will become very behind. I am getting more and more nervous as the day slowly approaches and I won't be under sedation. It's one of those things where you have no clue what it's going to be like until it's done, which is one thing that is bothersome to me. I have read a lot of negative stories regarding a caudal, which is not making me feel any better, but I have no way of knowing until it's over. I will remember what you said and use a lot of ice. Thank you again.
  • I had what they called a Medial Branch Block in my lumbar area with steroids injected. I was in what appeared to be a pretty serious room as far as setup goes looked pretty clean and / or sterile they did sterilize the area and cover with the paper sheets! I was laid out on a table with my face in a little donut looking at the floor.......so I couldn't really see what was going on although my Dr. was there and had an assistant later on I knew that they had some sort of x-ray looking pictures of my spine while performing the injections because they gave me copies of the pictures on a long piece of paper looked like it came off a roll?! Showing my spine and the needles in there as well! I felt the injections of local anesthesia and the injections of the steroids as well........some hurt a bit more than others all throughout I kept hearing comments on the severe rotation and curves of my spine in between " this may pinch, burn , cause pressure etc etc!" Not once did I have my vitals monitored while this was going on and my blood pressure was quite high beforehand too....due to nerves I'm sure!? But I was never asked if I'd like anything to help me relax or if I had a driver or anyone accompanying me. So I'll have to assume my procedure was less serious than yours but it did cause some discomfort and weakness in my legs afterwards. I left and drove myself home to begin the suggested ice pack off and on and rest! Well that turned into days of not even wanting to get out of bed, extreme fatigue, anxiety, more weakness in my legs and dizziness etc culminating in this awful case of thrush that I now have .......... ten days later still feeling the same as always?! Well so I just wondered whether it was so different than your experiences because mine was not injected into the same areas or whether it's just different strokes with different doctors but if you have any comment about the comparison between our procedures I'd really like to hear from you and thanks for your posts and the posts of everyone else as well! :-)
    that involve steroids/cortisone can be treated in similar fashions.

I think the number one item of concern would be how the injections were administered. I believe all should follow some of these basics:

• - Sterile like operating room environment
      - Use of Fluoroscope and/or other X-Ray guidance, never done by the naked eye
      - Offering some form relaxation, conscience sedation, etc
      - Monitoring vital signs
      - Post injection 'waiting' period
      - Doctor follow up
    Now some of the simpler injections (ie Trigger points) would not go through all of this. I've had so many spinal injections, ESIs, Facet injections, Trigger points, etc.... Some follow those guidelines to the tee, some are more laxed. The times I had post problems with any of those injections were when they were done via the naked eye, without any vital sign monitoring.

• barbidollbbarbidoll Posts: 1
    edited 08/05/2015 - 9:55 AM
    I had Radio Frequency Ablations on my right lower back 6 weeks ago. I had the procedure on the left side 4 weeks ago. One week ago I noticed horrible pain on my left side. By day 3 the pain worsened and affected both sides. This morning I wake in horrible pain again in my spine from my shoulder blades to tale bone. My Doctor claims the pain can persist up to 8 weeks. I've been to ER twice. My Doctor increased my pain meds but I'm still in horrible pain. Has anyone else experienced this, and how long did it last? Did you get relief once the pain subsided? Any opinions and advice is welcomed. Thank you

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Barbi Spaulding
  • SacramilSSacramil Posts: 7
    edited 08/06/2015 - 7:58 AM
    Don't be nervous, but also don't expect it to be easy. My first two set of injections were fairly easy, one I got yesterday (read my post from yesterday I posted) was the worst experience. I hope yours is a walk in the park:)