Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Would like to hear from you

I am trying to hear a few patient's stories about surgery. I am asking three questions.

1] Did you have a cervical or lumber or thoracic surgery?
2] Did it involve more than one level? If so can you name the surgery?
3] How long has it been since the first surgery and do you feel the surgery (or series of surgeries) was worth?
MRI shows C4-C7 severe steonosis. Pain in hand.

• 1. Lumbar
    2. 1-level, Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion
    3. I am 14 weeks post-op. I think it was worth it, but I still have quite a bit of recovery ahead.
    Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (PLIF) Surgery (Open) L2/L3 (23Mar15)
  • 1)Cervical
    2) 1 level ACDF with discectomy
    3) yes totally worth it- off pain meds , arm pain gone, 6 weeks post op
  • 1.) cervical
    2.) 3 surgeries but only 2 levels fused
    3.) it's a yes and no because it was needed due to a SCI but it also caused pain so I have mixed emotions. However I am learning so much about myself through all this and through the pain and that is invaluable
  • Lumbar
    first surgery was at L4 L5 laminectomy
    second was L4 through S1 coflex implant
    the first surgery now I felt wonderful for the first few weeks then pain came back and dr refused to see me told me it was bursitis in my hip which it wasn't
    the coflex in a now not because it hasn't worked I'm 5 weeks out now but because of a staph infection that I got in the surgery center and was dischanged with signs of infection and have had to deal with worse pain then before surgery and am looking at another to clean infection out and has been a complete mess but I hope that changes soon and I'm able to be pain free or atleast havery less pain

To add I saw my ortho today and o will be adding a 3rd surgery to go in and clean infection out of my back and off the hardware. I'm now just over 5 weeks post op and other then a thin layer of skin at the bottom of the incision has closed up but below that it is still open
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 556
    1) cervical
    2) c4/5
    3) first surgery was June 2013. Second surgery (neck didn't fuse) was March 2014
    Was the surgery worth it? Well, I had herniated disc & pinched nerves, so not having the surgery would've been risking permanent nerve damage. Although I am still having issues, at least I know the cause was fixed.
  • 1. Thoracic
    2. 4 level, T4-T8
    3. Almost 10 months post OP now. I had no choice in the matter due to T6 burst fracture sustained in a dirtbike accident. No surgery could've meant being paralyzed so ya I guess it was worth it.
    September 2014 : T6 burst fracture, multilevel fusion from T4-T8
  • SukhreSSukhre San Diego, CAPosts: 181
    Thank you for all the feedbacks. I am in the middle of the roads with so many symptoms but no definite path forward yet. Your feedbacks will help me decide.
  • There is a part of me that is very disgruntled that the surgery didn't fix me more than it did. On the other hand, I definitely am better than before surgery. I knew surgery wasn't a miracle and that getting rid of all of the pain might not be possible. The fact is, we all wanted to come out on the other side pain free. It's just not how it always works. Many of us were doing so bad that the surgery didn't even seem like it was an optional thing. Guess that made our decisions easier. I wish you the best!
    Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (PLIF) Surgery (Open) L2/L3 (23Mar15)
  • brandis77bbrandis77 Posts: 195
    edited 07/04/2015 - 10:10 PM
    I have had 2 spinal surgeries (unrelated) over a period of 3 months.
    SURGERY 1 (Feb 2015)
    1) Cervical
    2) 2-level artificial disc replacement C4/5 and 5/6
    3) It's been over 4 months since my cervical surgery and I feel amazing!!!! Good as new. I'd make the same decision again in a heartbeat.

SURGERY 2 (May 2015)
    1) Lumbar
    2) L5/S1 microdiscectomy
    3) I'm just 5 weeks post-op and it has been very rough. Some people recover quickly and easily, and this procedure is very common. I had this surgery on an emergency basis due to the way my motor skills were being affected and how quickly the pain/numbness was increasing. If it hadn't been an emergency, I would definitely have researched the procedure more to decide whether to try to address the problems via PT or if surgery was really the best route. I think I would've decided on surgery anyways, but there was really no way for me to know that my recovery would be so difficult.
    L4/5/S1 scar tissue removal surgery, plus unexpected L4/5 microdiscectomy #2 October 2015
    L4/5 microdiscectomy May 2015
    2-level ADR C4-6 (Mobi-C) February 2015
  • gfishggfish Pittsburgh PAPosts: 160
    1) Thoracic
    2) Levels T4 - T10
    3) 7 months now. Had no other choice. After a fall at work my spine was starting to fall forward. Did nothing for the pain. Im just stabilized. Very unhappy with the results.
    Greg fisher
  • 1. Lumbar
    2. L4 - S1 ALIF & PLIF Fusion
    3. It worked for me. I would do it again!
    Bilateral L5 spondylolysis L5 with grade I anterolisthesis L5-S1.
    Stable multilevel degenerative spondylosis contributing to mild canal
    narrowing L2-3 and L3-4.
    360 ALIF & PLIF L-4 - S-1 on 8/11/14
  • SukhreSSukhre San Diego, CAPosts: 181
    I appreciate all the feedbacks.. it looks like i have to do the surgery and do not know how to proceed.