Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar Microdoscectomy L5 s1 post op week 2

Gray22GGray22 Posts: 1
edited 06/30/2015 - 10:29 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I wanted to share my story in hopes of maybe getting feedback that can help me and possibly help others.

5 years ago in a college basketball practice I had tweaked my back and had to take two weeks off. Went to the docs said it was a pulled muscle and to relax, so that's what I did. Weeks when on where I began getting numbness, tingling, and a pinching pain in my back to the point where, I'd be running and my leg would give out and I'd fall. My teammates would laugh but it wasnt serious then I thought. Years went by and the numbness would come and go, until it eventually shifted from my right side to my left. Being a 26 year athlete I didn't think anything of it, like usual just normal wear and tear on the body of being an elite athlete.

August of this year I found out I have herniated disc in my back nothing to crazy, with physio treatment and relaxing everything should be okay. I kept playing and took all necessary treatments, precautions if needed, and even practiced less.

September of this year I was warming up in an exhibition CIS basketball game, and as normal routine I jumped up for a rebound and landed to get the ball. When I landed I turned to take a step and felt a huge pop in my left hamstring, a ridiculous pinched in my back, few secs later my entire left leg went number and I could t move. The nerve was pinched so severe in the left side I thought I was paralyzed and would never walk again.

After hospital visits and morphine the pinching in my back never went away, the numbness never went away. Walked with limp because I had sever drop foot and couldn't feel my entire foot. Everything I did I felt crippled for a lack of better words, and it actually out me into a depression. I couldn't play basketball, I lost a entire season of eligibility. And now had to look at a year of rehab.

After 8 months of waiting for doctor referrals and MRI's results, I've gotten surgery and feel awesome. I've had the lumbar microdiscectomy and feel great. I was walking 3 hours after the surgery, and out if the hospital later that day. The constant leg numbness, throbbing, pinching, and pain in the left leg had gone. The only pain I have been having g is due to the leg cramp from the pressure on my nerve, that's now non-existent. I do have some numbness due to the drop-foot but doctors says it may take 6th months to get back. The back feels free but can't do any bedding or twisting movements.

It's day 8 and I've been walking all over and my head space has been so free of stress. My only concern are the occasional back pain I get from sitting upwards to much sometimes , but I assume that's normal.

My only advice to people who may be you f athletes like myself it anybody In general, relax and take your time. I would love to hear how very one else is coping though, it's still early for me and sometimes I feel really impatient. If anybody has advice please do lend me some, I'm young and hardheaded and trying my best to be positive. They say I can't play basketball again but I refuse to believe that, I do to know I just felt the need to share since I haven't talked about it at all.

I look forward to the support and anyone with advice.

Best regards,

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Please click on Welcome and learn more about SH and how to navigate this site to best benefit you.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Gray,

I just posted a big post in this section awaiting approval, but thought I would comment anyway. Hang in there. Like you, I am an athlete...I was a swimmer in college and now spend my time heavy into CrossFit, surfing, kitesurfing, stand up surfing, swimming, and work as a Police Officer, so a pretty demanding job.

Like you, I had my spine surgeon say never to do CrossFit again, but i think it saved my life. Also like you, I wont take a doctors two cents and not do what I love ever again unless I knew for a fact it would ruin my life.

Athletics and being an athlete is something youll always be,. I am 2 months post op and have the green light to workout slowly and bbuild back into life. I swim, do core work, and focus on form in everything now. I can bend and twist now and my back feels great.

My back is tired from sitting a lot as I am working inside a police station instead of the streets for another 4 weeks...so I understand your pain or frustration with the "achy" or "tired" back feeling. It feels kinda like a nonstop small annoyance after you sit. But when you walk and move, the back feels great! It is common.

I didn't have flop foot, but I lost the ability to stand on my right tip toes and also raise up on my right toes alone from the ground. I just found out I was able to walk on my tip toes a week or so ago...can can start to raise up on my right toe alone about 1/4 of thhe way which is a huge improvement...especially walking on my tip toes.

It takes time...youll recover quick, but take your time. You will find being an athlete you will recover a bit quicker. I suggest you walk a bunch and keep your head up. You will play bball again and enjoy your life. It is a minor bump in the road, but nothinhg you cant recover from 110%.

PM me with any questions.