Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to OsteoArthritis!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Arthritis, Osteoarthritis
Hi there everybody. I have only recently found out via some medical notes that I have OA and would like it very much if you guys could help me and give me some information. The OA is said to be at L4/5 and L5/S1. I am pretty freaked out by this and scared so any info you could give me would be greatly recieved.

Thanks Youp, Lyssie xx

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hey Lyssie,

Welcome to the S-H site, hopefully you will find a wealth of info here and meet a lot of nice friends here much the same as I have.
    Have you met with a Rheumatologist yet? If not try and get a referrel from your PCP or do some research to find a good rheumy in your area. My Rheumatologist has done so much for me I can't say enough about her. I know without her I would not be functioning as well as I am today.
    Like Paul said OA is a very common disease, don't be scared, and persue the answers to the questions you have aggressively. Take control of your health and well being and stay positive. Take care and keep us posted.
  • Hiya and thanks for the responce. I know OA is common with ageing but I'm only 19 years old. :(
    I think I have this thing called facet joint syndrome and by medical notes I mean that I requested from my hospital for all my records that they could find. Like letters, notes from surgeons and surgery stuff and nurse notes etc.

I have a lot of pain and sometimes lately I am finding it hard to sit down and stand up again. I can't sit for long periods and can't stand for long periods. I have tried facet joint injcetions but they haven't worked one bit. I was having sciatica and had nerve root injcetions and the pains has gone which I am so happy about.

I should have mentioned that I see a spinal surgeon in London and I am already fused T11 to L3 for scoliosis. No problems above fusion just below.

Thanks for your support xx
    You are indeed young to be battling this disease. When my symptoms first began I was about 21 and it started in my lower back. But I played hard riding motocross bikes and ditch banging my snowmobiles cross country. My Dr's
    back then had no clue I had OA and it was because of family genetics.
    Adjacent joint degeneration due to fusion is common so do not be surprised
    down the road a few years that occurs. From my last X-rays I have it starting
    just below my C3 thru C6 fusion.
    Take good care of yourself and keep us posted.
  • Is it so bad that I want surgery? I just want rid of this pain and if nothing else will help then I am willing to go through a surgery to be honest. Is that bad? I'm sorry if I sound selfish I just can't bare this pain right now. I can't even take more pain killers because I can only take them every 4 hours. HELP!
    Maybe it's time to get a second opinion and by all means consult with a rheumatologist. You cannot live with constant pain, there are people out there that can help you, just pursue this issue aggressively.
  • Alyssa, I am so sorry that you are so young and experiencing these things. I also have arthritis in my facet joints. What has really helped me the most is Rhizotomy (nerve burn or RFA). It has been a life saver for me. Have you tried this procedure?
  • Thank you for your replies. I have never heard of a Rhizotomy, what does it involve? I am in lot of pain today, quite uncomfortable.

Thanks again, Lyssie xx
  • Welcome to S-H, and I am so sorry that you are suffering from this, you are so young. I agree with Ranger, you need to find a good Rheumatologist. I had been told for years that I had OA, and could only treat symptoms. My Rheumy discovered that my arthritis is an auto-immune disease, closer to RA than OA. Now I am getting the proper treatment and also more pain relief.
    I do understand how you can hope for surgery if it sounds like the only way out of your pain. And if your pain medicine doesn't even hold for 4 hours, I think you should let your dr know.
    Because of your young age, I think you need to find a good rheumy dr and get after this. Maybe with the right treatment, you can prevent further damage. Good luck, Lyssie. And please let us know how you make out. (Also thank for your reply to my surgery post. I left an update there.) Hang in there, Honey! Hugs and prayers, Marti
  • I am going to my surgeon on the 31st so will update you all on how it goes. I am hoping he wont offer my more injections as my mum seems to think he will. If he does I'll say no because the first lot didn't worik, why would the second lot work? I will ask him what else he can do for me and if he says there isn't anything then I will ask for a referal to someone who can deal with my case a bit more appropriately. I will be polite and all (I'm not a very confident person) but this is just going too far with my pain. If he'll offer me better/stronger pain killers, I'll take them but I still want my problem to be fixed, not just disguised with pain killers and more pain killers.

Thank you all so much for your support, it means the world to me. Thank you.

Lyssie xx
  • I've learned from shuffling back and forth between doctors that I'm my own best advocate; it sounds like you'll be standing up for yourself too :) !
  • alyssa,hi ts been ages since we have chatted.........im so sorry to ear u are in so much pain,i do hope u get sorted out and soon!!
  • Hi Lyssie,

I just wondered how you made out at the app't with your surgeon. Also, I was wondering if you were feeling any better. I sure hope by now you got some relief, and that possibly your surgeon had some ideas for you. Please post an update and let me know how you have been doing.

This discussion has been closed.