Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 week post opp today and left confused, disappointed and miserable

I had my 3 week post opp today (acdf c5/6) and left confused and disappointed. I am still in a significant amount of pain. In 3 weeks I have only had 3 full nights of sleep. Unfortunately I had to stop taking the percocet they had prescribed me due to a possible allergy. So I have been without relief since Tuesday. I have scheduled an appointment with my PC doc on Monday to address getting allergy testing done. I am also allergic to aspirin/ibuprofen. With that said the only meds they would give me today were tramadol (never works for severe pain) and Zanflex. I let her know my concerns about how ineffective the tramadol is. However she said going forward all pain meds would either have to go thru my PC or I need to go to pain management. I personally hate pain management. I have only been 2 times and both times they made me feel like a criminal for being in pain and asking for something stronger than tramadol on a as need biases. Both times they refused to give me anything until I did the cervical epidural's. I did the epidural's (they didn't work) and they still wouldn't give me stronger pain meds. So they sent me back to the ortho. A month later I was in surgery.

FYI... I hate taking all pills especially strong pain meds so if I take them it is because I have tried everything else first. I don't even drink alcohol.

So my question is can the PC doc prescribe me something stronger than tramodal for a short period of time? If so what is similar to the relief percocet can give?

At this point I really regret doing the surgery. The only reason I went thru with it was the amount of compression from two large bone spur clumps. I dealt with the busted disk for years and was able to manage the pain. After surgery all of my symptoms have tripled in intensity.

• one thing not to do and your ortho should have warned you is you can not take anti inflammatories. it will ruin a fusion. and yes you can get pain meds from your pc doctor. I am confused why they don't want to give it to you. Norco is a strong pain pill its simalar to vicodin. smh hear, hope someone helps you soon. :)
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • livinthedreamllivinthedream Posts: 19
    edited 07/02/2015 - 8:50 AM
    I had to see his nurse prac for my post opp. I am just as confused. I left her a message after vomiting from the tramadol about 30 min ago letting her know this isn't going to work. She said there wasn't anything she could do and if the pain gets to the point of not being able to handle (it has been there for weeks and she knows that) to go to the hospital. I am so flabbergasted I can't even express it! I just don't get any of it. To top it off I am home alone with my 10 year old son right now so I am doing the best I can at hiding this form him. I am going to take the percocet anyway with benadryl and hope for the best. My husband is on the way home and will most likely insist on taking me to the hospital.
  • The Nurse PAC ended up getting in touch with my surgeon even though he is on vacation(so appreciative for that!!)

He said I'm prob not reacting to the tramadol. He thinks it is actually withdrawal to the percocet. I was taking 6-8 a day and just stopped abruptly (I can't believe I didn't think of that. Goes to show how much I know about pain meds.). So they decided to have me continue the percocet at half the dose with the benadry thru the weekend. On Monday drop to 2 a day, so on. They have a neurologist in the practice as well so they called him and he suggested Neurontin. I have been instructed to call 911 if I feel like I can't breath just to be on the safe side. The doc really doesn't think my allergic reaction was from the percocet. He is confident that this should solve the problem for now. I just wish this was all addressed at my appointment today. Going forward I'm only seeing the actual doc and not the NPAC.

I'm just looking forward to getting the allergy test so I can know for sure what I am truly allergic to.

Happy 4th Everyone!
  • I had acdf 4/5 along with cf 4-5. I have a pretty high pain threshold but I was overwhelmed! Personally, I do not think percocet is enough for the first couple weeks but with the fear of drug dependence it doesn't seem likely any doc would agree with that. I really feel for you, especially going into a holiday weekend. I will say, I had to just shift my mind set that this is where I was at this time, it was going to suck, but tomorrow would be a little better. I tried to think of things other than the pain. Sometimes when your brain focuses on how bad you hurt, you actually end up hurting worse, if that makes sense? Also, see if you can find a massage therapist come and do a hand, foot and scalp massage at your home. You could do head and neck, too since you didn't have any cervical involvement. They can do all of that while you are lying on your back : ) It is amazing how much the power of touch can help. I know those seem like lame suggestions but trust me, every little bit helps! Hang in there- praying it will just be a little longer until you are over the hump.
    2009 c5-6 fusion; 2011 c6-7fusion /c5-6 revision; 7/13 c4-5 joint replacement, c5-6 revision discectomy L4-5; 1/14 fusion c4-5 and L4-5 due to joint replacement moving; hardware removal c4-7/L4-5 scheduled 7/14/15 b/c titanium allergy