Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to forum also waiting to adhere my 1st Butrans patch

MiaEdwardsMMiaEdwards Posts: 2
edited 07/02/2015 - 10:03 PM in Chronic Pain
I'm new to this forum. Though I already have to say "thank you God!!!!" For discovering this forum while searching info on Butrans. I will post technical stats later but in the Reader's Digest version I am 53 years old. Have had bi lateral hips, bi lateral knee replacements also 5 revisions so far and waiting for revision 2 on my right TKA.

In addition I have degenerative disc disease in spine. 6 bulging disc and counting. Spinal stenosis and spondylitis in areas. New development is a synovial cyst on l5s1 which is also bone on bone and self fused.

I saw a new PM doctor yesterday. I like her! She prescribed the Butrans patch 10mcg /hour. She told me to just get through the first two days and then see how I like it. So now I'm sitting here looking at this patch worried about what she meant? She's young and doesn't look hurt so I assume her telling me to get through it is from patients complaining about initial side effects. So I always prefer the voice of experience.

What should I expect when I first install for lack of a better word my first Butrans patch? I've been on Norco/ Percocet/ Oxy 20's not all at the same time but respectively since 2007.

I would say my tolerance is mid to high.

Thank you to anyone who can share their experience with initial use of Butrans patch.
Hugs n Happy 4th of July,
Michale (Mia)

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 07/03/2015 - 11:26 AM
    Hi & welcome. I never had any side-effects from the Butrans. It did take a while to get into my system & start working as I recall. Maybe that's what she meant? I know there have been discussions of that med in the past. If you search at the top of the page you can read through others experiences. It works great for a lot of people. I stopped using it, many years ago because I just don't get on with patches (skin problems etc) nothing against the med. I hope it's the answer for you. Best of luck.

My spines a 'naturally' fusing mess too. I've got cysts. My last surgeon said they're not commonly a major pain generator (but can be) you can tell if it's a problem because that pain goes away when you sit. I don't know? I've got so many pains it's hard to tell if one lessens & is replaced by another when I sit!! For me sitting normally for any length of time is very painful & causes my feet to go pins & needles & numb. Are you the same?

I hope to see you on the forums. Happy 4th July ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • My new pain doctor prescribed Bu-Trans as a chronic pain med after I expressed the desire to come off of Percocet for the pain in my coccyx and sciatica. When I got the prescription filled I was shocked to find it cost $330 and after reading the literature I noted it made no reference to pain relief but I paid for it so I tried it out. WARNING- If you are taking more than 15mg of narcotics a day and apply this patch you will be put into instant withdrawl! It is the worst. I wore the patch for four days and noticed no lessening of pain in my coccyx or leg. Finally I tore it off and went back on my Percocet till I could see my pain doctor. After relaying my experience, she stated that the drug is more for detoxing than for pain management but is prescribed off label for pain. My tolerance for codeine is quite high after seven years of daily use and I have now switched to methadone , which has its own negative side effects, but I can take a much lower dose and its lasts longer with few to no pain break throughs. I'm worried that at your stated dosage of meds that you will have the same lack of reaction to this patch but if you've already had it filled, give it a shot just don't put it on till you are on no higher than 15 mg/daily of your prescribed pain med. If you do you will be sorry. Good luck and I hope you have a more positive experience than I did and won't allow my story to color your own experience!

For others who may be considering trying this new patch, please consider what meds you are currently taking and be sure to have a frank talk with your pain doctor before agreeing to take it. It's probably best suited to those who have low pain levels or who don't have a history of taking narcotics for pain relief.
    Jamie L. Burt