Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Are steroid injections less likely to work over time ?

PaininfootPPaininfoot Posts: 35
edited 07/05/2015 - 2:13 AM in Pain Management
Hi, I was wondering if root nerve blocks and other steroid injections decrease their effectiveness the more you have them ? My first ones worked great but number five didn't do much and number six hasn't done anything at all ? Thoughts ?

• EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 07/11/2015 - 6:55 AM
    Hi. How recent are your diagnostic images, MRI? Can your doc tell you exactly what's wrong & explain how injecting steroids into that area can help? I only ask because I've been really surprised at how fast my spine has changed at times. I used to have quite a lot of procedures on my L4-S1 area. The discs can now be described as 'completely gone'. Appear as little black lines on an MRI. It's been explained to me that there is no longer any logical relief that an ESI could do there.

In the past I've had procedures that helped quite a bit & then the same procedure might do nothing but increase my pain for a while. I have no idea why!! They've always been pretty hit & miss for me.

When did you last have a surgical consult? It's important to ask how long you should try conservative treatments for. I have permanent nerve damage & I'm tired of being asked why I left it so long!?! No-one ever told me otherwise & I never asked!
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • WolfpackSVBWWolfpackSVB Posts: 216
    edited 07/24/2015 - 7:57 PM
    Steroids are great if you have inflammation and they do not lose efficacy over time.

But if you do not have inflammation or a chemical imbalance then don't expect anything except for a [edit] off nerve cell that has been stuck by a needle.
  • can do more damage to joints...that's why these are known as the best and worst drugs. Too many people and a lot of young ones who have done many cortisone injections end up with early joint replacements.
    Bodywide OA, Fibro and complications from Hip Replacement.