Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF and lifting restrictions

If you had one level what did your surgeon describe as your restrictions and for how long?
ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
...and it was the best decision of my life :-)

• I don't know if makes a difference on how many levels,but I had two and my surgeon limited me to 5lbs until full fusion and since after two years i'm not fully fused i still have 5lbs restriction!
    June 2013 Car Accident,i suffer blunt abdominal trauma and had surgery.
    june 21 2013 ACDF C 5-6,6-7
    August 27 2013 rotator cuff surgery
    june 3 2015 abdominal incisional hernia.All kind of pain killers,opiates,epidurals and disable for life.
  • Hey Denise,

I think you have a plate so you don't have to worry so much about the weight restriction. In your case you would benefit by putting some strain on the region for the purpose of stimulating bone growth. Talk to your neurosurgeon again but I think you should go up a pound or more each week and should probably be at a milk jug by now.

For me all restrictions were lifted at three months, that's when I fused. Prior to that time he repeated that I could not harm the area because of the plate and that he only does the weight restriction to not confuse the patients that do in fact need a 5 pound restriction.
  • DeniseO_oDDeniseO_o Posts: 115
    edited 07/06/2015 - 6:01 AM
    I have a cage.....
    I see him tomorrow for my 6 week post op and I'll get more elaboration specific to me at that time.
    I have had to sort of lift my toddler a time or two out of necessity :-/ but all in all I've been minding my manners for my post op care. I am just ready to resume life per usual and wondered what others experiences was.
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
    ...and it was the best decision of my life :-)