Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Horrible pain in hips when standing for more than ten minutes

FritzcrackerzFFritzcrackerz Posts: 247
edited 07/04/2015 - 7:45 AM in Lower Back Pain
Ok,

Usual caveats that nobody here is a doctor.....

I used to have really bad hip pain when standing, really bad sciatic pain, numbness in my lower legs and bladder/bowel dysfunction.

Long story short: I ended up with a L4-5 TLIF last February, which fixed everything.

About six weeks ago, I fell backwards and landed on my sacrum. Fortunately, the sciatic symptoms didn't last for more than a day, but the horrible pain in my hips when standing for more than ten minutes has returned and stayed. An X-ray revealed that the fusion was u disturbed so the Doc put me back on morphine and has listed me for an L5 nerve block an a caudal epidural which is due next Friday 10th July.

Does anyone have any experience of this, know what the cause is and whether the CE / nerve block is likely to help?

Steve
L5-S1 herniation. Both knee meniscus tear. L4-5 herniation - 2 x nerve block injections. L4-5 discectomy. L1-2 nerve block injection. L4-5 reherniation - TLIF fusion. 2016: L1-2 and L5-S1 retrolistheses and multiple facet joint degeneration.
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,960
    Sorry, I do not have experience re your question.
    Was wondering about your falling backwards.
    Did you just lose your balance, or legs gave out, or did you pass out?

Just for you to think about.
    No matter the cause, I am very sorry for your fall and horrible hip pain.

I wish you the best for your procedure July 10 th!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Have you had your SI joint checked out? Just wondering. That kind of pain can have so many causes. I bet you're no stranger to the diagnostic roundabout....
    Remember to take some ice with you on the 10th! Getting that on my back ASAP helps me. I take those ice packs you get for kids lunch boxes with me & ice on the way home. People's results & experiences with epidurals & blocks are so different it's impossible to predict the results. I think they're worth a try although some disagree. Everything has risks but sooo many of those procedures are done now with relatively low problems as long as they're done properly in a medical setting with guidance. Other than trigger point shots I'd NEVER allow anyone to stick a needle into my spine without guidance. My clinic sedated me for everything so I can't speak about the actual procedures.

Best of luck!
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • FritzcrackerzFFritzcrackerz Posts: 247
    edited 07/07/2015 - 2:30 PM
    Lying in bed. I have pain from hip to knee in both legs. Praying the procedure works.
    L5-S1 herniation. Both knee meniscus tear. L4-5 herniation - 2 x nerve block injections. L4-5 discectomy. L1-2 nerve block injection. L4-5 reherniation - TLIF fusion. 2016: L1-2 and L5-S1 retrolistheses and multiple facet joint degeneration.
  • I know! I have pain like that & it's so hard to get comfortable. Sometimes laying on my back with pretty high pillows supporting my knees up helps but if I actually fall asleep I wake-up 'locked'. Ugh! Sometimes laying on my left with a pillow between my thighs helps but not always. Using my creams (prescription, aromatherapy, OTC hahaha! I've got them ALL) across the top of my bum, bottom of my spine helps. Getting right into my hips, quite hard, helps too!

I asked about the SI joint because when I had the diagnostic numbing shot that pain was reduced quite a bit. The deep core pain in my thighs that my doc calls sciatica remained but the sharp hip & thigh pain was helped. I've got so much different damage in my lower body it's really hard to tell what causes what symptoms sometimes! Even if the procedures don't work it will help them diagnose you. Ugh! Why does everything have to take so long?!? I've had a variety of shots in my hips for different things. I find that there's a muscle there that goes crazy & trigger point shots (I know they're a little, simple thing) did make a difference to my comfort. There's lots they can try. How are you feeling now?
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • dea-lynnddea-lynn Posts: 152
    edited 07/09/2015 - 5:41 AM
    I have been having similar issues with my back. Long story short, I injured my back in October 2013 tried and failed months of PT and injections, had a microdiscectomy and lamenectomy in September 2014 which seemed to help for a few weeks but then my symptoms returned. In December 2014 I had another MRI which show bulges abive and bekow my surgery site but ym surgeon said that he didn't feel a fusion would help at this point and should avoid as long as possible. In April I had a Lamenictomy of T10 and a spinal cord stimulator placed.
    Fast forward to May.... I began having sharp electric type pain in my right hip/groin and numbness from my sacral area to my mid thigh on the right. Before surgery and since injury I had always had numbness in my left leg never in the right. Then on Memorial day weekend I fell because my right leg gave out, I thought I was ok cause I fell forward but since I have had an increase in numbness and increase in my back pain, deep in my lower back.

Twio weekz ago I had a femoral nerve block which seemed to help at first but only lasted a few days. I am now back in PT and "watching and waiting"
    Dea-Lynn
  • So it's two days since I had the caudal epidural and L5 nerve block. The pain has all but gone and I'm quickly tapering off the morphine - should be off completely in two more days.

Clearly, this worked really well for me, as it did last time I wrenched my lumbar spine.

What keeps running through my mind is 'am I being ungrateful that I had to wait eight weeks?'

I spent eight weeks in severe pain, fogged up on morphine, wasted a two week stay at a physio rehab centre as the pain was too bad and couldn't work during this time.

Surely, had I been given the injections on the day or following day of the accident, I wouldn't have wasted eight weeks of my life, wasted the two-week treatment and been a burden to those around me and to the economy?

Is it ungrateful to think this?

Steve
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,960
    It's so good to hear you are doing well after your procedure!

Re feeling ungrateful for having to suffer for eight weeks, you feeling like a burden, etc.....personally, I think that is a normal feeling.
    For me, when pain at its worse, one day can feel like a year! And to go on for eight weeks can feel like an eternity!

You spent that time looking forward. Now feeling better, many emotions can be running through your heart.
    Maybe that is a healthy part of the healing. I don't know...but would think now that the physical part feels better, you can better feel the emotions. I would never judge emotions, mine or others. They just are.

Going through the emotions as you experience them, I would think you eventually able to let go and move on to your more healthy life ....feeling better all round.
    You will probably be even better and more understanding to your people in your life as they may happen across difficult situations...health or otherwise.

I wish you the very best!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Less than a week and the low back / hip pain is back. I can get a little respite if I take ibuprofen, paracetamol and codeine, which is better than the morphine I was on, but it's a little disappointing.

GP sent me for an X-ray at a different hospital to see if they spot anything different.
  • Ugh! I'm so sorry. That sucks! Let us know how you get on. Best of luck! ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
advertisement