Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post op ACDF

Hi there, I'm a new member, currently 5 weeks post op ACDF - C6/7.
I'm particular interested in talking to anyone who's having swallowing issues post op. I had some issue immediately post op which seem to ease, but now 5 weeks post op - I'm struggling a little with my swallow. I can eat and drink ok, but the general swallow is hindered occasionally and there are times when I don't feel I can swallow at all. I'm still in a Miami J collar, which is pretty tight, and the swallow issue is slightly eased when I loosen my collar ( which I'm probably not supposes to do!). Is anyone else having issues and do they have any advice for me. They say to get in touch with the hospital with any post op swallowing issues, but I don't know if I'm at that stage yet.....
Thanks for any help.
Mark :)

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on the above link for further information.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Betty65BBetty65 FloridaPosts: 83
    I'd be calling the doctor asap if I couldn't swallow very well.....it will probably at least calm your fears to call them. After all, you paid for the surgery :-)

Take care and let us know how you are doing!

• Hi Mark. Did you call today? What did they say?

The only thing I can think of.... Several years ago I recovered from general anesthesia with a terrible throat. Swallowing was an issue, it's hard to describe, it just felt awful. With everything that was going on it was a while before I mentioned it to my husband. They'd told him at the hospital that I'd become congested while unconscious & they'd put tubes & suction down my throat & he'd forgotten to tell me!

That's the only time I can think of that I've experienced anything like that. I hope you're doing ok. With anything worrying its worth calling, even if it just calms your fears. Please let us know how you're doing.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I've spoke to the dr and physio - they suggest that the collar is tight and that tied in with the swollen throat since the surgery, is probably not helping. As I can keep food down and have no trouble breathing, they didn't seem overly concerned. I'm seeing the Dr on Friday, and the physio next Wednesday. I'll hopefully know more then.
  • I hope they do something that reduces your discomfort. It sucks! ;-(

Other than that how's your recovery going?
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • 4Miranda44Miranda Posts: 2
    edited 07/13/2015 - 7:23 AM
    I have a loved one that had an Anterior Cervical Discectomy & Fusion of C-4 through C-7 6 days ago & struggling to swallow. Any suggestions? She can get down a few bites, then gags it right back up.
    Anterior Cervical Discectomy & Fusion of C-4 through C-7
  • Hi. Sometimes it's even harder to watch a loved one go through these things. I'm so sorry. I bet she truly appreciates your love & support. It's lovely to hear from a caregiver here. Can she keep anything down...soup etc? If she hasn't got any food down for 6 days is call her surgeons office for advise. The special health drinks they sell in stores could help....just a little sip at a time while she's in this post op stage...
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.