Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post-operative leg/hip pain

skb93sskb93 Posts: 3
edited 07/08/2015 - 10:10 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I'm 2 and a half weeks post-op, having had a PLIF at L5-S1 and lumbar decompression. The fusion was recommended as I have pars defect, spondylolisthesis resulting in DDD and moderate/severe osteoarthritis of facet joints, so I was in severe pain 24/7, tried other treatments etc and nothing worked. Decompression was for severe bilateral foraminal stenosis, particularly on the left side as my legs were becoming significantly weaker and I had a lot of leg pain, the nerves leading to my left leg were completely flattened. Good news is my surgeon said he felt the operation went very well, I'm healing fairly quickly and have moderate back pain at the minute. Bad news is over the past few days my hips and legs in particular have been killing me, so I was wondering if anyone else had this post-surgery? Before the op, the leg pain was a burning pain that spread down my leg, but now it's a bad stabbing pain mainly in my calves and the pain is a lot worse than before the op. The pain is worst when I stand still, it feels like my leg is going to explode. Does anyone know if this is normal? I'm just a bit concerned as obviously I know one of the risks of a decompression is nerve damage, and the pain isn't responding to the painkillers I'm taking (co-dydramol 8 tablets a day). Thanks x

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!

• I experienced the same thing following my ALIF L5-S1. The nerves are angry, but they should calm down over the course of several months. I take gabapentin (12 mo post-op) & it helps dramatically. I'm lowering my dose now, finding that the burning pain doesn't return as quickly as it used to. At any rate, my overall pain level is 95% better than it was pre-op. So glad I did it!
    7/11/14 fusion L5-S1 w/instrumentation posterior/anterior @ Stanford hospital
    age 39
  • Well that's made me feel much better, thank you! I have a follow up appointment with a consultant next week so I'll ask for some better suited pain relief, glad to hear you found success with your fusion x