Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Incision Question

DeniseO_oDDeniseO_o Posts: 115
edited 07/10/2015 - 10:03 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I had the ACDF procedure level C6/C7 on 05/20/15 and my incision is much lower than it was said to be (base of neck) and 6 weeks out still pretty tender with shirts or jewelry. It's a very clean cut and scarring will be minimum in the future but the little xxxx is killin meh, lol.

How long did it take for your incision to not be so sensitive?
ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
...and it was the best decision of my life :-)

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    For me about 5 months.
    I started using vitamin E on the scar area and that did help quite a bit.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • With the tenderness of it?

Also, I am still so boggled about my incision being so low. I sort of think if it was higher up (as intended) I would not have such sensitivity issues. I hardly ever wear a t-shirt with a traditional neck line but the few times I have I wore it to bed and of course woke in serious pain the next day. I definitely learned my lesson with that, LOL.
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
  • Denise, my incision is towards the middle of my neck and at 10 weeks post op I am just barely starting to be able to wear a necklace. My whole neck from my chin to my clavicle on the side of the incision is so hypersensitive, even the weight of a necklace hurt. I have numb areas but the skin itself is very sensitive almost feels like a bad burn. I know that's all normal, a lot of nerves got cut, and stretched so they are angry. It takes time. Just be patient.
  • My incision itself still stings from time to time, for no reason. I'm thinking the nerves are starting to wake up or something. But sometimes out of the blue I let out s loud "ouch" because I feel like someone snapped a rubber and on my incision.
    Unfortunately for me, mine reopened at ten days post op, so my line isn't clean and nice. It's very dark and thick and ugly. Oh well. I out scar stuff on it but I haven't noticed any improvement on it.
  • Adella, I'm so sorry about your incision re-opening, holy crap! That makes me shudder. Why did that happen? Plenty of Vitamin E oil or cream plus Bio Oil <3

I need to show you my incision because it's way lower than the norm. They told me anatomy wise I am in the small % of having to be cut so low.
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
  • Hi Denise, yes, it was scary and weird. The last bit of scab fell off prematurely after a long hot shower and when I looked in the mirror I literally had a whole in my neck, in the incision. I sent a photo email to the PA and she called me to get in ASAP. They were afraid of infection. So that end of the scar is wider than the rest. My scar is very noticeable, and dark. I'm at the point where I could care less though. I'm a pretty vain person, but I think scars are cool. They tell stories of what we've accomplished, survived, etc... So I willl wear it proudly.
    I am so happy to hear you have been doing so well. I am so proud of you that you went through with the surgery even thought you were scared and hesitant. You are a true success case! I'm glad your recovery has been uneventful. I think mine has been harder because I was in pain and had pinched nerve and bone on bone for 19 months. Aren't you glad you didn't wait that long! Keep being the strong woman you are. Keep up the good work!
  • Yikes, that's a long time. I only served 10 months of hard time :-)
    I also like my scar as well! For so long our pain and struggles were hidden, like a dirty secret, but now the story is literally being worn for all to see. There was an issue, and there still is. Our lives are forever changed and that's just the reality of it.

Love your new picture! <3
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
  • Hi Denise! I had surgery the same day! My incision is very low right on the crease of my neck to the left. I was told by my surgeon that I had a very short neck and that there would not be a lot of room to work. I am surprised how well it is healing! Using Vitamin E oil and scar serum, I have keloids so I thought the scar would be thick but so far it is good. It is still very sensitive to everything. Can't wear a seat belt rests there, no jewelry either. I have a question for you have you experienced any swallowing difficulties as I still cannot eat solid food also my vocal chord was damaged during the surgery. My left one is paralyzed and I am having difficult swallowing and keeping my voice. I think we need to be patient. I had three levels done.
  • Oh goodness, I only had C6/C7 (one level). Honestly, I was hoarse for a week or so and the swallowing issues were only a problem the first week to two weeks from what I can remember. I'm assuming my quick "recovery" where that's concerned is due to only having one level.
    Your vocal cord damage......that's scary. I knew that was a huge risk via the anterior approach although I'm sad to read that it happened to someone on the boards.

I must have a short neck too :-P And mine is still very much sensitive. How awesome is it that we had surgeries on the same day? What time did you have yours? :) They took me back shortly after 3pm and it took a little over 2 hours total.
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15