Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower back pain, knees to ankles pain, internal spasms 3 yrs sudden onset

ladyinpainlladyinpain Posts: 17
edited 07/06/2015 - 8:08 AM in Lower Back Pain
My work was outdoors. I've never been sick, I was Walking outside one day, suddenly my body felt like it was hit with a lightning bolt, my insides were having some type of spasm or tremor, you could not see this happening on the outside. Go to ER by that time it stopped and they suggest anxiety, which it was not.

A month or 2 later, sudden onset of severe burning pain from knees down to ankles while walking, I went down to the ground.

Everyday when I get up and walk to kitchen within 10 min. I have spasms or some type of tremor, a shaking in my back and legs, its as if I'm having shivering on the inside which does not show on the outside.

A year later lower back pain, as if I was towing something, pulling out of the back pain, a hard dull disgusting pain that makes me nauseated, this pain never stops, I feel it mild when lying down.

I've had just about every test starting with ultrasound of ab and legs, muscle biopsy, bone scan, nerve conduction, MRI's, last MRI about 6 mo. ago.

My PCP said I have arthritis in my back as if it were no big deal, I realize I would have arthritis in my back, anyone older who does some lifting etc after a period of none such as winter months knows to expect that, I would take an Aleve that would take care of the pain and I was good to go for next day.

I'm seen at Neurology also, I was started on Gabapentin which did nothing also Phenytoin, did nothing, I took these for over a year.

Seen Rheumy also who ran autoimmune tests, he said it has to be nerve pain

I have had injection bilateral lumbar facet lidocane and steroid, no help it made my lower back go into spasms a fast crawling sensation, enough to drive one out of their minds.

Pain has just progressed,from the leg pain and the Drs. not much help, it progressed to my back a year later.

What helps the most is Prednisone, I wish I could take a higher dose.

Neuro recently said I had Rheumotoid Arthritus and bulging discs because of C-Reactive Protein blood results ( I need to look at the reading for that to see if they differ from prev blood test) , I think I always had arthritis which wasn't that bad as mentioned above.

I am unable to walk or do anything without pain meds and prednisone, , I feel like a slave to them, I am getting too depressed now, I cannot take care of my home, its a mess and I've never been like this. I'm done in, I cannot go on like this.

I believe there is a damaged nerve in my back that started all of this, especially with the sudden onset, or an infection if Prednisone seems to help the most (at a larger dose) the Drs. are missing something.

Have a consult for another injection in back, I don't know what kind of injection yet, How can Drs. let someone go on for 3yrs with no relief? It's barbaric.

Current pain meds, Fentanyal patch 12.5 every 48 hrs, Oxycodone 5 mg 3-4 x day, Meloxicam 15 mg 1-2x, Prednisone 5 mg 2x.

Thanks for any help in advance

• I am so sorry to hear about your pain, and for how long it has been going on. You are so right in that you feel as though you are in danger of losing your mind when you have unrelenting, undiagnosed pain. What you describe sure sounds like some of the nerve pain that I have experienced, although yours is much much more intense. And nerve damage does not show up on MRIs or Xrays. The doctors/technicians really can not see what is wrong. Have you had a PET scan? You probably feel like you are doctor shopping and are going to be accused of just looking for narcotics to feed a habit. Have you tried alternative medicine, like massages, physical therapy, etc. Quickly to say that I have had 7 spine surgeries, I just wonder sometimes if I had gone to a good chiropractor (like a Palmer Grad) or a really good massage therapist, or a physical therapist who didn't think "no pain, no gain" I might not have had to have these surgeries. I have had the patches, 2 at a time; Oxycodone (I prefer multiple Vicodin); I turned down the prednisone and Meloxicam because of their side effects. I finally agreed to an injection, the insurance company always pushes this over surgery, and I would never do it again. Horrible pain and pressure at the time, intense debilitating pressure for 2 weeks, about 10 hours of pain relief. Afterwards my doctor said he didn't expect me to have any relief. So why do it? My doctors have told me to keep trying the Gabapentin, just keep taking higher doses and finally it did kick in for the nerve pain along with the narcotic. I can relate to the feeling of "I just can't live like this anymore." That's the point where I go to my surgeon and ask him to open me up and fix what ever is broken now. Sounds like there is most definitely something broken inside you and horribly pinching a major nerve or nerve bundle. Keep trying doctors, just make sure the doctor you select allows you to talk to a past, happy patient and that their staff people would let that doctor treat them. You don't want to end up worse off than you are now. Is there anyone around you who could come clean up your home for you? That also adds to your pain. Stress.
    Still Walking
  • @ Happy surgical Thank for your reply I really appreciate it. I have wondered why no PET scan and I am going to ask Neuro why I never had one, I have appt in the near future and God forbid if you'd miss it and wait another 3 mo. to be seen.: (

Yes what you mentioned about the Dr shopping and meds, I really believe at the beginning of this ER and the Drs. thought I just wanted drugs, I had no idea about all the rules and hell we are put through, all these rules and regulation (ah, I'll post about that in the future) you know what I mean

I went to a Chiro about 2 yrs ago, the first time I was in heaven because it had me so relaxed and I felt so good, I loved that water thing that pulses up against your back etc. but things got worse and more Drs. so no more funds for co-pays to the Chiro.

I'm leary of getting another injection, the horrible feeling I had in my lower back after the last one (lido & steroid) it feels like snakes are crawling in my lower back and lower legs, I get this in my arms at times also

The meloxicam can upset the stomach, need to eat with that, I've not noticed any other problems with it, I think it helps a little, I so sick of the Prednisone but what is anyone going to do? You have pain and you don't want to feel it.

I tried Gabapentin for over a year, 300 mg 4x day, it did nothing to lessen the pain, the other drug Dilantin didn't help either. I'm just stuck with the heavy pain meds to survive each day, With that is another problem, I cannot think straight or concentrate before this I took a med for that, so the last thing I needed was pain meds and the Drs. should know that, don't they realize what they are doing to me, the pain meds just run over that and I feel that they just don't give a damn. It seems the health insurers tell them all what to do, why don't the Drs. fight back? are they a bunch of wusses? I guess they are more concerned with receiving Ins. payments and the hell with the patients.

I'm going to make some calls regarding help around the house, I did a post on that a few min ago.

Yes who needs all of this stress, I cannot believe all that has happened, I wish this were a dream or a coma and I would wake up.