Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What makes you the most comfortable?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
edited 07/06/2015 - 7:44 PM in Depression and Coping
Put aside all of our medications for a bit here.

What are the thing(s) you do that makes you more comfortable.

For me, there are two that quickly come to mind:

- Being out in the water in my boat
- Talking, teaching, running wine tastings, basically anything that deals with wine.

How about you?
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Betty65BBetty65 FloridaPosts: 83
    Yes, wine is up there on the list!

I like going to the movies with my daughter, traveling, and studying/teaching the Bible. If I had a boat, I'd be on it!

Life is good.
  • In the morning or at night, a hot shower usually does the trick.
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,807
    edited 07/07/2015 - 10:11 AM
    Love. I know thats sappy for a dude , but seeing my godchild and us doing things together, when a 13 yr old grabs your hand walking in mall like she did when she was a little kid or leans her head on your shoulder at the movies just like when she was young. At those times I feel the most peace and least pain.
    Physically its stretch, hot tub and swim.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • For me distraction is the best pain management tool. Laying around with nothing to focus on but my pain drives me crazy & increases my pain. I've found so many new arty, crafty hobbies since my problems started. I like things that take lots of research so I can study-up on my iPad (nice & light I can use it in any position) when I'm not very mobile. I also belong to crafty groups.
    I met a great spiney friend who I talk to everyday now. My family has stayed with her in California for the summer. Traveling was a nightmare but vacationing with a dear friend with similar issues is relaxing & fun...priceless!! She fosters kittens for a rescue society. She started doing it because my daughter is cat obsessed. We adopted 2 kittens & brought them back to Texas. Having pets is fun & a wonderful distraction...I've always got soft, purring company when I can't sleep at night! As a spiney getting out there & making friends is so important. The isolation can be crippling in its own way.

Is this what you mean Ron or do you mean hot Epsom salt baths, aromatherapy, OTC creams, my hot water bottle, herbs & suppliments? I'm trying tumeric at the moment. I take magnesium suppliments & find that nerve pain, restless leg etc increased when I don't take it. Vitamin D, B-complex. Hahaha! Pain management becomes a way of life ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Hahaha! Kids you can give back at the end of the day are so much more relaxing Aaron! Only joking! I can loose myself in my kids but the guilt & anxiety of not being the "Perfect Mum" makes family a double edged sword for me. Like everything, when my pain is reasonably controlled I can mentally convince myself that the positives of being a parent with pain (more time to focus on them & more thought given to our activities) outweigh the negatives (them missing out on 'normal') but when my pain goes above a certain level I still become a 'Negative Nancy!' about pretty much everything! I'm working on it! ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Photography
    Being at peace inside and out is a hard balancing act
    I say act because to the world i am calm
    Inside i am torn between what i want to do,and can actually do.
    Ive got a little job where i can catch the sunsets regularly,which..when? Lol i listen ti some chill music brings,me,peace.
    The silence(i work in a field) then the soft wind talking to me again
    The warmth of the setting sun
    Little bunnies hopping about,carefree and secure in their fenced little world

Pushing to get the money for a new to me better camera,so i can share what i see
    Soon,another software suit to replace my crashed one.
    Adobe lightroom,so i will be ablento combine music and images.
    Life is up to what i percieve it to amount to no?
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,807
    edited 07/07/2015 - 11:34 AM
    EG , I to am trying turmeric and curcumin for inflammation. Yes , the guilt is devastating I feel and she is only my godchild , I could not imagine having my own and the heartache. If I couldn't play baseball with my boy that would be something I'd cry everyday about
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • My son is about to turn 9. He wants to play basketball but he understands that I can't. He 'gets-it', doesn't even ask. He's compassionate. He says to his little sister, "Don't do that you'll hurt Mummy's back!". Ugh it breaks my heart! Focusing on it makes me sad & the last thing they need is a SAD Mum with a bad back.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • being in nature, especially when it's a wild goose chase. At home, it's the four legged kids. When things are really bad, like right now, a good Mel Brooks movie, like Young Frankenstein.
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 554
    I have a 4 year old grandson & a 6 week old granddaughter. After I was injured 2 years ago, I was devastated that I couldn't pick up my then 2 year old grandson. Since then, I've learned to find other ways to interact with him. My new granddaughter is such a joy to me. I've recently had rotator cuff surgery & have to wear a sling, but we've figured out a way for me to sit on the recliner & hold her. It melts my heart!
    Also, I know it sounds crazy but riding on the back of our motorcycle gives me great pleasure! We have a touring bike, so I don't have to hold on. Granted, we only go on short rides now, but I do enjoy those rides! I'm hoping one day to be back to traveling across the country on it again. We've traveled from Pennsylvania to Mt. Rushmore, Vegas, Arizona & Key West.
    Some people may think this sounds crazy, but what really gave me pleasure was working as a hospice aide. I haven't worked for over 2 years, and I miss it dearly. It would give me great pleasure to take care of my end of life patients.
  • Last night, I sat in our rocking chair with my 10-month-old baby boy. He just took his first steps yesterday. My wife cried while she recorded a video for Facebook and said, "You're growing up so fast, Buddy." He only has two little teeth, on the bottom, in front, but more are coming in and he's drooling everywhere.

Nothing really compares to rocking him to sleep. I wish you all could meet him. He'd melt your heart. He was in a tired and playful mood yesterday, and laughed so much when I said "tweet" or "bing." I used a throw pillow and a roll of yarn to help with lumbar/thoracic support in the rocker. Sometimes we watch Mickey's Clubhouse, but lately I just turn on music and sing to him, and rock. He might look up at me, or reach up to touch my face, and at some point we get so tired. A wave just washes over me.
  • When I lose myself playing piano.

When the grandkids pop in

Intimate times
    May 13, 2015. L4/L5
    2X bilateral lam
    2X s. process removed
    2X lumbar sten
    1X discotomy
    1X synovial cystectomy
    4X f. joint modifications
    4X foramenotomies
    1X spondylolisthesis
    1X bilateral post. Llumbar fusion
    1X instrumented fixation
  • gfishggfish Pittsburgh PAPosts: 159
    Boat? I had to sell mine, 18' open bow runabout. 200HP. Nothing big. But could not do the bumps. Would kill my back. Plus I towed it. I took up reading and cooking. But been thinking of of a pontoon boat, Nothing like a day on the water. Really miss mine.
    Greg fisher