Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Should the incision be 2 cuts? ACDF C5/C6

All the kind people who have responded to my previous posts have really been helping keep hope. So I apologize for adding another. I just don't have anyone else to ask.

So my next question is should there be 2 different cuts? The top one is about 2 inches long. The one below is about a half inch. In between the 2 cuts is a small bulge. I think It looks horrible. I thought it would be one clean cut. My opinion is my 10 year old, left handed son could have done a better job :-) I was going to attach the picture but can't figure out how to do it.

It is always tender to the touch and burns off and on. I have to cover it with gauze to wear the collar. When I shower it stings oh so bad and will stay irritated/red for an hour or more at times. The steri strips were removed at my 3 week post opp (I'm 4 weeks today). If it were up to me I would have kept them on. The nurse prac told me I could use the vitamin E and I have been but after the shower irritation subsides. However because it is so darn tender I have to carefully dab it on. The vitamin E doesn't sting. How many times a day does everyone else use the vitamin E?

Thanks Again!

• The small cut underneath my incision was for the drain, it's about 1/2 inch. Everyone is so different on the scars too, skin tone also plays a role, but most will blend with your neck creases in a few months. I still have numbness above my incision but not sensitive. I had 2 level acdf, wore hard collar for 6 weeks and also kept steri strips on for 6 weeks. I didn't do anything to my scar and it is healing pretty good. hope your recovery will get better and better.

• Go figure I was never told about a drainage tube. In fact my surgeon only talked about one cut. Do you know if it is common?

My surgery started around 7am. I was in recovery by 8:30/9 and home by 11am. I don't remember any of it. The first 5 days were so bad I seriously thought I was drying.

I have had so many issues post opp and no answers have been given when I have asked the the surgeon staff. They have actually canceled my next post opp appointment. I'm assuming because I keep asking why I am having so many complications. I am seeing the doc who did my cervical epidurals tomorrow and I hope they can help me figure out where to go from here. It is very discouraging to know I have been left right at the beginning of recovery. I am only 4 weeks post opp as of yesterday. I have always come from a place of "if you have nothing to hide you hide nothing". They for some reason are hiding everything. I was supposed to have 2 large bone spur clumps removed and I am now thinking that was not done.
  • What reason did they give for canceling? I have never heard of a doctor doing that. I went at two weeks then I go at six weeks, then three months, and six months. What complications are you having? My incision stung for a couple of weeks. I was told not to use vitamin E or anything else uptil 6 weeks. My steri strips I removed at five days per doctor orders..not fun.