Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Doctors Appointments

CRASH21CCRASH21 Posts: 139
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Not really sure where I should post this. Do you all have as much trouble as I do getting into see your NS. Next appointments are over a month out! I just want to move forward as quickly as possible. I now know to go to my appts. very prepared as it may be a long time before I can get with my NS to get questions answered. I am so tired of living this way, I just want to be all better and continue on with a "normal" life.

• Any NS that is any good is usually 1-2 month wait. I would honestly make appointments with two, beacause you may want a second opinion or your insurance may want a second opinion and then you will have to wait again. Don't tell the second doc you are the second opinion, many offices have policies that will put you on a different calender than primary appointments and it will take you even longer to get in. Also ask to be called if there are any last minute cancellations. It would not hurt if you are in the area to drop by and ask for a copy of the new patient paperwork and while you are there try to use the art of good gab to maybe pull some strings. Don't know about your situation, but you may take by your records and MRI. I have had a nurse call and work me in after seeing my MRI!
  • The wait for my surgeon is about a month if it's just something I want to go over with him. If it's someting important he can usually fit me in right away.

I understand how you feel, I hate waiting.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    Its not that uncommon to wait that period of time. I know the NS that did 5 of my surgeries has a waiting time of about 3 months.
    I was also shocked, since he did my surgeries, that during one of my flare ups, I tried to get an appointment to see him.
    Same thing 3 months... HOWEVER, if I had recent test results that showed problems, the appointment could be made within 10 days.
    So, overall I have to say that is fair. Its frustrating though especially when you are in pain and are suffering.

Also, I never believe in hiding the truth from a doctor's office when making appointments. If its for a second or third opinion, I let them know up front. There are circles of professions that many things do get around, so no sense in swaying from the truth.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Before I had my spinal fusion surgery, the PA told me that I will have follow-up appointments with the OS at 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months and 6 months following surgery. So every time I go, I right away set up the next one. This way there is no confusion nor do I have longer waits between appointments than necessary. In between I only needed to call once and the OS promptly called me back and we could discuss the problem over the phone (it turned out not to be a problem).

I think this system works well.

Kin ;) ;) ;) ;) }:) }:) }:)
  • You're going to find out through all this that patience WILL be your best friend. And that your life will be different from here on out. I think that was the hardest thing for me to accept. I'm not the kind of woman that can lay on the couch all day, for months to even a year eating "Bon-Bons". Your going to have to do alot of "Come to Jesus" talks with yourself, that's for sure.

But these surgeons are very busy people and usually 1 to 2 months out from surgeries and appoinments. I know exactly how you feel though. I had to wait 11 months of pure dibilitating agony before I had my 3 level fusion performed. And now post-op, I've been doing mostly nothing for 22 weeks today. Kick back, relax,...your in this for a LONG HAUL. It's not like a broken bone or tonsillectomy, this is major surgery. :)