Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post ACDF-LONG recovery-Help!

Veronica1223VVeronica1223 Posts: 4
edited 07/10/2015 - 3:30 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I had ACDF in late January 2015 and I am still recovering. I hit the windshield twice in my youth in car accidents, and my neck got worse over the next 15 years. I started having symptoms in the neck as early as 1998, but MRI showed minimal changes, so I went on with my life. Fast forward to 2013 and my neck was much worse. My left arm was getting weaker, etc. I had a nerve conduction which showed severe carpal tunnel in both hands. I had surgery for that in 2013. However, my neck continued to hurt more and more and I couldn't move it without a lot of pain or it wouldn't move certain ways at all. Next MRI showed my left side collapsing, so I opted for surgery. I am only 46 years old.

Recovery was awful (which I know is NOT the same for everyone, thankfully). I got pneumonia in the hospital and my left arm right after surgery was on fire. I followed through with home therapy, then outpatient PT. But at week 13 I was still not able to straighten my left arm and it had tremors (was weak, hurting, etc). I could still feel the nerve pain if touched, in my arm and hand.

I had another nerve conduction which showed there isn't permanent damage, but that the nerve was healing very, very slow and had a long way to go. In addition, my neck still hurts like it did before surgery. The surgeon (who I love!) said, that should get better as the nerve/arm recovers. He said my neck was just worse than they thought-surgery took 4 hours instead of 2 and he had never seen the arm react so poorly after the surgery. He also said my whole neck had severe disc disease and he hopes the other discs hold up.

He assured me it would heal. Back to more intense PT. Has anyone had this outcome and test shown no permanent damage? I hope the test is correct. The neurologist who performed the test, thought for sure it was permanent damage before the test was performed. He said this is typically how permanent damage presents itself.
Finally, I am still on low dose pain meds-I had them switch me to Tylenol 3 which isn't doing much for the pain now that PT is started again. He may move me back to vicodin 5/325. I also take Flexiril at night. I have tried to suck it up so to say , but I can't take NSAIDS (severely allergic) and mornings are the worst time of day! I feel like a druggy when I go into the pharmacy. You would think I was taking morphine and 10 other drugs, they way they lecture me sometimes. I take less than the dose prescribed and I am very careful. What can you do.

Ok, pity party over:-) I have two boys to take care of and I have been out of work. Who knows if they will fire me when this is all done. I had expected to be "better" in like 3 months, since I am fairly young.

Thank you!
ACDF c5-c7 and degenerative disc disease in whole neck