Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Told to get Lumbar fusion with one side facetoctomy for pars defect - Need guidance!

nox123nnox123 Posts: 2
edited 07/10/2015 - 11:09 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi - Just though I'd post this to see if anyone can offer any guidance. I'm 40, chronic low back pain, leg stiffness, leg burning and feet tingling sufferer. All symptoms flare with activity and are increasingly worse, requiring less activity to cause pain. Have what I think is called walking endurance problems. Basically in whatever position I'm in, siting, standing, and sometimes lying down, I get pain if I stay in that position more than 10 minutes. Have had symptoms for 10 years, past 3 years have had steady increase in symptoms, and resulting increasingly interventional type of treatment, from PT, massage, to facet blocks, epidurals, and yesterday a radio frequency ablation.

Have known pars defect at L5. Minor disk bulging, but disk spaces look pretty good last year. Am waiting for CT and x-ray results to see any changes. Minimal slippage was my last report.

Surgeon says I should do L5/S1 fusion likely with one side facetoctomy (right side is worse).

Good idea? I'm worried that i'd go through all this surgery/ recovery time. Jeapordize my activity level throughout life (playing golf, for instance). And how do I know the surgery will in fact address my symptoms? JUst wanted to take a chance to see if anyone has any thoughts. Thanks!

Oh - trying to start a family so I think I have this window of time now to do this before I have a little one in the house. Seems like this would be a good thing to get done before a little one arrives, no?

Thanks in advance for any help or insight!

Moderator's message...Please click on link for helpful information
Welcome to Spine-Health

• Hi! I just had the same surgery but my left Side is worse. I am 6.4 weeks post op! This surgery has helped me so far a lot! It is very slow going recovery for me. But I know that it will be worth it in the end. PM me if you would like to know more about my surgery and recovery so far! I pray that you are pain free soon!!!
    L5-S1 Emergency PLIF Revision May 26th 2015
    L5-S1 PLIF May 22nd 2015.
    L5-S1 Discectomy Feb 27th 2015.
    L5-S1 Discectomy Oct 30th 2014.