Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF C5-C6, C6-C7 surgery 5 months ago

tiredinfloridattiredinflorida Posts: 1
edited 07/11/2015 - 1:03 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had ACDF C5-C6, C6-C7 surgery 5 months ago which had been compressing my spinal cord, worked but have since developed several problems. (Vertigo, occipital dizziness and headaches, tight and painful muscles going from my shoulders to my neck on both sides but more severe on the right side and now to top it all off I now have pain in my right shoulder going down my deltoid. NS sent me to PT, and had to follow-up with an ENT and both referred me back to NS since there were not able to do anything more for me. Waiting to see NS, PT suggested I see and Ortho who ordered an MRI which showed a small labrum tear, but not the cause on my pain. Ortho has given cortisone shots to ease should joint with no results. Advised to see NS and Ortho believes the symptoms are coming from my neck. All of the Pt, exercises, anti-inflammatories, ice/heat packs, not able to drive and haven't been released to go back to work and still have daily headaches (from moderate to severe, which send me to my room) dizziness on a daily basis and pain. Taking an average of 2-3 Utram daily which I don't like to take anything if I can avoid.
Has anyone had the same type of symptoms with their surgeries and what has worked to give relief to you. I am looking for the end of the rainbow and need help to find it.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 07/12/2015 - 5:41 AM
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • edited 07/12/2015 - 5:39 AM
    During my surgery the doctor cut and clamped off my right vertebral artery. He said that he had to because he damaged it because he was trying to get through scar tissue. I was taken immediately to ICU for one day. I had brain swelling and lots of problems. Now I still have Horner's Syndrome that really causes problems as far as reading and keeping my good eye open. I also have a lot of arm and shoulder and neck pain. I am so much worse off then before I had this surgery! It is hard to even sleep or use my computer because of the arm pain. Wish I would have never had this done. Now I don't know if I am at risk for more stroke or problems because of having less blood flow to my head without that artery. The doctor says I am not, but he is probably just trying to protect himself from a lawsuit. I don't know how to get another doctors evaluation because doctors always protect each other. My own doctor who recommended him is just saying that these things happen.

Moderator's message...Please click on link for helpful information
    Welcome to Spine-Health
  • I am sorry to hear both of you are having so many problems!

I am 4 weeks post ADR C6-7 and ACDF C7-T1. My worst problem was the post-op pain for the first 3-5 days after my surgery. I could not find a comfortable place to sit, stand or lay. I seem to be having a couple of what I would call minor issues, one being numbness that comes and goes in one finger, the other is an aching in my neck when I do too much that eventually goes to my head and gives me a headache. I am still taking tramacet for pain but only once or twice a day at most. All in all I feel pretty good and I am walking up to 4 km a day.

I hope you both find relief, I know before I had my surgery I prayed I was making the right choice, and I seem to be on the right path so far.
    27 vehicle accident in 1984 at age 17 caused neck injury
    C6-7/C7-T1 Disc herniation's diagnosed 2013
    Surgery June 11/2015 Artificial Disc Replacement C6-7 & ACDF C7-T1