Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Low back spasm

edited 07/11/2015 - 7:23 PM in Lower Back Pain
I am a 63 yo male with DDD relative to my age. I had my first back spasm at 37. Took a long time to heal. Couldn't reach my feet for a long time. Around 50 I started getting L-5, S-1 Epidurals on average once a year. From 2008-13 I had none. Probably due to the recession in construction in San Diego. I own a wood flooring business; installs and refinishing. Over the past ten days I was getting mini spasms at the L-5 meridian first thing in the morning on the job lifting light weight items under 25 lbs. Wednesday I started staining a staircase tread and I got another L-5 meridian shock only this one got worse quickly and I had to go home by noon and left my two employees to stain the floors and staircase. I called my pain management doctor and I was scheduled for an epidural Friday morning but got bumped up to Monday morning as he had a family emergency. The spasm and non functional muscles are on the left side of L-5. My body is upright it leans to the left. I am comfortable as long as I am in my Danish Back Chair or lying on my sides in bed. I use refrigerator back ice packs several times a day inside a back brace. Walking is slow and reaching anything off a coffee table is difficult. Luckily I have my business under control for now this next week. I wish I had the injection yesterday so I could have had the weekend to recover somewhat. My MRI reads moderate to severe compression from L4 to S-1. 1-3mm disk bulges at each. This has been my worst spasm in memory. It has been 3 days and has only let up slightly. What are your thoughts? I don't remember having these meridian tweets in the past. I am wondering if I just injured a muscle or a tendon/ligament at the spine. I had my last epidural three months ago. The doctor decided to do something different and put 40mg of Depo Medro at L-5,S-1 and 40mg at L-4. Formally it all went to L-5,S-1. I won't let him do L-4 again. That injection did or last. Thanks for the experiment doc. Lol

Moderator's message...Please click on link for helpful information
Welcome to Spine-Health

• Hi Greg. I suffer a lot with spasms. Mine are pretty constant. If the injections solve the problem for you that's great...it just sucks that you have to wait. They're so painful. Docs emergency, these things happen.
    Just incase you don't get relief I found that throwing everything at the problem helped me. I also have medications (Baclofen. Tizanidine worked well too 3x a day), trigger point shots (Botox & steroids work longest for me), ice, physical therapy stretches, hot Epsom salt (magnesium) baths, magnesium suppliments etc.
    Have you tried a course of Physical Therapy to work on those muscles & strengthening your core to avoid this problem? when was our last MRI? Something could of changed in there. It's shocking how fast my spine has changed in the past.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.