Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Longterm 4 fusions afraid of exercise HELP

I am finally to the point where I am afraid to do anything physical for fear of hurting myself more. I would also consider myself a fall hazard. Besides the lower back fusions I fell 6 weeks after my last fusion in 2009 and broke my back. Seriously? Yep, had a kyphoplasty to put me back together get again. My gait has weakness in the left leg and I just don't feel secure. What do I do??? I can't be this young and have my whole life on a bed, in the house, not enjoying the very basics. Here's a good one. I was getting up from dining and my leg is weak so I have to push off with the back of the chair. The chair gave way and I crashed into the next table of diners. I don't want to been seen like this. Im embarrassed. I look good but my body is failing me. Depression? You bet! Damn back. I HATE IT. Coming back to spine-health made me realize I am not alone. On the daily though, I don't seem to say any of you "spine fellows" out and about. Suggestions for movement??? A walker. Oh Im not THAT person, maybe I am. NOT good.

• twspinettwspine Posts: 14
    edited 07/14/2015 - 10:02 AM
    Is the weakness due to nerve damage or just from disuse atrophy of the muscles? Either way that needs to be answered. There are many ways to exercise that doesn't load the spine or put it at risk of injury. But the cause of the weakness needs to be discovered before proceeding.