Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discectomy and breastfeeding

Any suggestions on good breastfeeding positions? Surgery about a year ago on L5-S1. Baby born 2 days ago. Feeling pain in my lower back. I'm guessing it's my positioning.

• EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 07/12/2015 - 10:15 AM
    Hi. I've got 2 little kids & chronic pain. Ugh! Do you have a Co-Sleeper? (little bed that attaches to the side of yours) if you live near Dallas, Texas you can have all of my gadgets! I like the co-sleeper. It's so much easier to just pull/swing your baby into your bed for feeds.
    Do you have a Boppy? I found using a pillow underneath(when sitting) to hold it a bit higher, I guess it depends how tall you are. My kids used to like sleeping in it for a nap when they were really little. I'm most comfortable laying on my left side. Breast feeding just takes some adjustments & trying different positions until you find the most comfortable. The Boppy does help. Like everything it gets easier AND faster with practice. My daughter took so long when she was really little. I couldn't sit straight up most of the time. Use pillows to prop yourself & stay comfortable in these early, getting used to it, days. I mostly fed in bed or on the sofa to start. The top of my back, shoulders started to hurt too once my son got heavy (he's always had a big head!) be careful how you support & don't hunch or make your arm take too much weight (use pillows, Boppy for arm support)...you don't want to start getting problems in the rest of your spine!
    At times it got too painful so I pumped (The hospital can give you a proper one. More comfortable than little shop ones.) instead....with lots of cuddles, my kids were Velcro babies anyway, they get all the benefits. With my last I needed to get back on my meds so I only breast fed for a very short time. Don't beat yourself up about this. Do the best you can. That's my advise for everything child raising!

Congratulations! Enjoy being a new Mum. Time goes so fast. I found getting used to wearing a baby carrier as they get older was so much easier on my back than lugging around the usual car travel system stuff. That can be a killer! Once toddling please try to sit before you lift. It's not always possible, of course, but you can save yourself so much pain by doing that.

I'm here if you want to chat or ask anything ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.