Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

No more refills

phyllis_gapphyllis_ga Posts: 27
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Medications
Hello everyone,
I have been reading these posts for awhile and I have to say WOW. If your doctor is continuing to give you refills on your pain meds, count yourself blessed. I just went for my 12 week checkup post L5S1 fusion and my doctor tells me no more refills on my Darvocet or Skelaxin. Is this common? I still have a great deal of sciata and aching so he put me on Voltaren. OMG how BRUTAL this drug is to the tummy. It went in the trash. So now I try not to take the pain meds I have left in case I have a major pain issue. I only took advil before the surgery for the last 2 years and he made me feel like a drug seeker. I really just wanted to bust him in the nuts and say buddy feel this!! Sorry just needed to vent. I'm so tired of this surgery journey and I just want my life back. I'm gonna ask about the Flector patches I have been reading about. I have nothing to lose at this point. Hopefully I will lose the backache....:)

• I think you should stop consulting your surgeon re your pain and go to a pain clinic. There is no reason you should not be treated if you still have pain. Thats BS.

Good luck.
  • Is your Dr an orthopedic surgeon or a pain management doctor? They will both prescribe meds, but if you're seeing an Ortho, which it sounds like you are, ask for a referral to pain management; they'll help you with the pain, and get you what you NEED. 12 weeks is sometimes normal 'recovery' time, but for many of us, the pain lasts much, much longer. Good luck!
  • He is an orthropedic surgeon in Atlanta and I live in South GA in a small commmunity and the nearest pain management clinic is 2 hours away. So I guess I will talk to my Family MD and he see if he will aleast cover me for another 8 weeks of pain management.
  • That would be good idea to talk to your family doctor.....
  • I think it would be well worth the trip to go see the pain mgmt doc. Some people don't ever recover from back problems and continue hurting (not wanting to discourage you about your healing)... A PM doc has a completely different goal when treating chronic pain. A surgeon tries to fix you. If you are still having a lot of pain it can impinge your healing. If you hurt, you feel depressed. You feel depressed your body doesn't heal as well. Vicious cycle!! If your GP will give you the meds, that would be really great, but usually they don't like to give them to you. Good luck!!
  • I would try your PCP or even see a PM it seems the doc's that do our actual surgery get real stingey when it comes to the meds, they don't seem to precribe after the 2 month mark~ :?
  • Define what you mean by "refills" because I thought it was illegal to give automated refills on narcotics (in other words, you have to get a new paper prescription each time). I know that I have to literally see my doctor and get a paper script before I can get another bottle of my meds. I thought it was a nationwide law but maybe I'm wrong. :?
  • :) in California it is that way. each month a new triple prescription and visit to the doctor. i am sorry for what has happened to you! that is really the worst! good luck on finding a new PM. take care of yourself! Jenny :)
  • hi just adding on to what the others have said.
    alot of surgeons will not RX any more meds after a certain time frame. mine send you to your personal md. or you can go to pm like the others said.
    so its not the dr its pretty much rule with alot of them.
    where i am your neuro's won't even RX anything.(some places will) ortho only after surgery.
    refills can be done on lortab/vicodin that class of drugs.
    if percocet or higher no. it has to have a new script each time.
    they are allowed here to call in a 5 day supply but a written script has to be had for any more then that.

hope you have luck with finding a pm dr or your personal md will work with you.
  • You are correct. No more new prescriptions.
  • Dear Phyllis, I am just amazed that after a fusion you could even survive on darvocet and the others you mentioned , they are the oldest drugs around!!!! Not to mention the weakest.Maybe I am just spoiled because my Doc is at least up to date on what is out there and will not leave me in pain ever.I didnt read all the other comments you received from others, but I do know that a lot of surgeons do not like to take on the issue of giving out scripts. They do however at the least refer you on to a PM, Dr. The good ones would never leave you high and dry!! Also most meds like yours CAN be called in , only C class or like (morphine ect cannot.)Next time try to remind the Doc that you pay him for services not the other way around.Or better yet look for a new Doc.Good luck and dont let them put that stupid drug seeker lable on you ( if its not the case)as I think its their way of always getting the upper hand .So good luck and remember look for a new one or at least ask for a referral. }:) }:)
  • I agree with everyone, the surgeon after a few weeks will stop Rxing. His job is done and he has "fixed" you and since he is "God" you cannot possibly be in any pain. Personally knew of someone who had a NS tell her I fused your back and its solid, you should not be hurting and basically at that point turned is back on her. By admitting that you are hurting he is admitting that the surgery may not be 100% effective. Go see your PC doc and explain it do him failed back syndrome is not new.
    Along with that, most docs who understand immunology will tell you that if a person is hurting after surgery and recovery they will not heal as well or as quickly. If you have inflammation and muscle spasms due to pain, you are not going to get better until they get your pain under control. The surgery may have been very successful, but you just need appropriate pain control and time to heal.
  • I have made an appt with family MD for Thursday. I didn't tolerate many of the stronger drugs so I just kept working through the pain with Darvocet and Tylenol. I guess the one good thing I had on my side was that I was in excellent shape prior to the surgery. I had been training for a mini triathlon when all this started. Don't think these feet will ever be pounding the pavement again other than walking.
    If anyone lives in the Savannah area and knows a good pain management MD would love to hear from you.
    Thanks for all your input.
  • Hi everyone, for detailed info about my condition see my post in back surgery about screw removal.

Even though they do nothing for the nerve pain and numbness in my legs, these patches are a Godsend for the back pain. Every morning I try to bend a little to determine the worst pain spots, then cut the patch in half and apply to the worst pain areas. I have constant inflammation at my S1 fusion and it really helps. Take Celebrex also. Quarterly blood tests to make sure no problems due to my medications.

They are expensive - highest tier on my insurance, but worth every penny! Going broke trying to solve pain problems - Prescription co-pays $250-$300 per month!
  • Hi Phyllis,

I new here and was reading through your post. I'm an RN and one would think there would have been some communication from him as to what "his routine was." That way you could be trying to use other methods for pain relief and try to decrease your intake but he didn't and just basically cut you off - very heartless. I'd definitely try to get a pain management referral from him or your primary physician. Any professional with half a brain will understand that pain management is a positive measure in the right direction.

Take care,