Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 weeks post op ACDF using cages

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am 2 weeks post op ACDF levels C 4-5 C 6-7 (discs were herniated at these levels from an auto accident) using cages that were filled with bone harvested from the osteophytes that were removed during surgery.

Was feeling pretty good up until yesterday when I started having really bad headaches, neck and shoulder spasms, pain and numbness radiating down my right arm.

Before surgery most of my issues were left side related but now the right side is acting up.

Just don't understand what is going on. I had such a positive outcome from the surgery because I could actually feel my fingers on my left hand again. It really scared me today when my right hand went numb.

I'm terrified something is going wrong with my fusion.

If anyone has any help or suggestions please send them my way.

missb :(

• I'd call your doctor ASAP, and just let him know!

I'm 4-weeks out c6-c7 this past Monday, great recovery like you, but one morning I woke up with my inner side of my thumb and index finger numb... That is the finger I had issues with before surgery. Well, my neuro said I must have just sleep wrong. Again, not what your going through, but call anyway.

I have noticed my left side of my neck is kind of bothered, like a pulled muscle, not bad, nothing like anything I had before my surgery (my right side was my main issue). It goes away when I have my collar off while in the shower, and for a while afterwards, but it bothers my just a bit. Not bad enough to even need anything for it most of time, but enough that I called my neuro today, just because I'm doing good and don't want anything to go wrong, even if its just a muscle acting up because I'm in a collar 24/7?

Anyway, I have an appointment, he'd rather just take a lot see, so I'd call your doctor.

Hope you feel better real soon, and just remember, they do say we will have some bad days, after all, we did have some real issues, and major spine surgery. Those nerves have been through a lot!
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    I am almost 11 months post-op of a multi-level ACDF. My left arm and hand were affected and still remain numb and tingling. I have noticed thru the course of healing that strange little things sometimes happen that may be
    totally different than the symptoms I had pre-op. For the most part I've learned not to be alarmed and take the wait and see approach and fortunately
    it was nothing to be concerned about. But if you do feel uneasy, call your
    Dr's office and let them know what is going on. They are there to address your concerns. Take care and I hope all goes well for you.
  • This is all so confusing as I'm sure you all are aware. Everyone is different and I guess it's natural to worry about things not going well. It took me a long time to decide to have surgery and after I came to terms with it I guess my expecations were obviously higher than they should have been.

It's just so depressing that I am beginning to experience more pain and have new symptoms in other areas of my body. Luckily, I have a great NS and he and his staff have made themselves available to me if needed. So, I think for my own peace of mind I'm going to contact them and altleast make them aware that I'm having issues. I just don't want to become the girl who cried wolf so early into this.

Jersey and Ranger thanks so much for your replies. Will keep you posted.

• Welcome to the forum!

More than likely the problem is inflammation at this point in your recovery but you should def. call the doc. Any change should be noted in your chart. It's amazing how many changes you body will go through during the recovery period- you'll discover new things all the time!

Don't ever feel bad about calling with any problem. They should earn their money! Seriously, most surgeons take great pride in their work and do care if things aren't going well. Pride goeth before the fall, or something like that....just call!

Take care and let us know what happens,

• sorry to hear that you are having problems, like the others said let your dr know about what is going on, after this type of surgery you will have pain, some have numbness afterwards from my understanding it may go away,try not to get yourself upset,it's going to take you a while to feel better.rest and have positive thoughts. good luck to you
  • I did contact the NS office today and he was in surgery. They noted my problems and basically said just what you guys said that my body was going through allot of changes and to rest and not let it stress me out. They said the Doc would be in the office on Monday and he would contact me then. However, if the symptoms did worsen over the weekend to go to the emergency room and one of the doctors whom ever was on call would see me.

Thanks Griff and micklp66 for your help.

I'm doing my best to hang in there but I'm just soooo incredibly tired of being in pain. :sick:

This discussion has been closed.