Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

16 days post op, T12 L1 fusion, questions, nerve pain

jtal19305jjtal19305 Posts: 33
edited 07/18/2015 - 9:05 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I am new here, 48 year old healthy male. I had a severe disc herniation at T12 L1. I had surgery to remove the disc and fuse the two vertebrae. I also had a laminectomy at l2 l3 as well. I was in the hospital for three days. The surgeon said everything went very well, and surgery was under 3 hours. i am home recovering now, wearing a corset back brace. I will have the sutures remover on 7/20/15. My problem is the burning nerve pain in my feet especially my left side which was the side that had the issues prior to surgery. I also have numbness and nerve pain in the left outer thigh and calf. My doc says this is normal, and is part of the healing process of the nerve de-compressing and will take time. I have read many posts of people with similar issues. Some report that it does get better over time. Others have less recovery. I know each person is unique and will be different.

I would like to know anyone's experience with this. It is very agonizing dealing with the pain. I take 75 mg Lyrica twice a day but it doesn't really help that much. THe pain is worse at night and makes it hard to get a good nights sleep which is critical to recovery. I hope some people can post some good comments and insights. I am staying positive as I can to fight through this recovery.

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click link for helpful information!

• I have a question about spinal fusion. It appears my doctor inserted a rubber disk and did the bone graft around it. is this normal? I have not heard of this. Also, I am having lots of nerve pain in my feet and left leg and calf.