Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Psychologist

gfishggfish Pittsburgh PAPosts: 160
edited 07/16/2015 - 1:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Its been a battle with pain. I had a fall at work in march 2014. Thinking that it was a minor injury I tried to take it easy and let my back heal. Well the pain got to bad and I was starting to lean forward. Turned out I had a 2 pretty good compression fractor and had to get a fusion from T4-T10 in dec 2014. It did nothing for the pain, But my spine is stable. Of course like all the doctors say, You should be fine after 3 months? But nothing is feeling better. At 7 months into this, I am seeing a pain management doctor for the last 2 months. Pills and shots are what he does. The last time I was there I asked if he was treating me for the right reason? I said to him, It does not feel like nerve or muscle damage. More like a stress on my spine or hardware issue. And asked if he seen my mri or ct? He said no, but had the reports of them. Then he came back into the room and said I should go and see a pain psychologist? I was like what?? He said I dont think your crazy and he is not that kind of doctor. But, That he wants me to be able to live a normal life, and he could help me . Has anyone went to a pain psychologist? I know my back is messed up and might never be the same. Was close to being paralyzed. And was told thats there is really no fix for me. Just stabilized. I can deal with that. Its the everyday pain thats hard.
Greg fisher

• Brian247BBrian247 Posts: 41
    edited 07/16/2015 - 6:21 AM
    man sorry to hear your still in alot of constant pain. I'm 10 months post op now and just finished my last session of PT yesterday actually. I did 12 sessions of PT and he said my strength and everything seems really good so just continue with it at home making it more challenging for myself so I dont plateau. I dont have constant pain just more of an uncomfortable feeling most of the time. If i'm up alot and doing alot throughout the day I do get pretty sore after a few hours though. The worst pain I get is this searing soreness at the top end of my fusion kind of between my spine and my right shoulder blade and its actually sore to the touch. Thats the worst area for me pain wise but only happens after being up alot and doing alot. If i sit/ lay down for about 20 minutes or so the soreness goes away. I still havent hurt enough to need pain pills or pain management of any kind since the first week out of the hospital 10 months ago and I'm thankful for that. I feel bad for you bud and I really hope your doctors can figure out how to get you some relief soon.
    September 2014 : T6 burst fracture, multilevel fusion from T4-T8
  • I see a pain psychologist weekly and it really has helped me learn to cope with the pain and deal with everything that comes with having chronic pain. The other good thing is that my psychologist gets to see and hear how I'm really doing and she can report to my doctors about where I'm at which is extremely helpful. I highly recommend because even though the pain hasn't gone away it's helped me to really figure out how I'm feeling now that I am living with something chronic.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    ....pain psychologist.
    Before seeing her, I didn't even know they existed.
    I saw her weekly for a few months and that is how quickly my mind turned around...perspective toward my pain and current life style.

Last saw her almost 3 years ago and my head has remained positive and actually my thinking is better than ever.

Best of luck to you!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History