Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Multiple herniated discs with degenerative disease

Granny56GGranny56 Posts: 2
edited 07/17/2015 - 4:09 PM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and would like some advice.

I am a 56 year old woman with Multiple herniated /protruded discs with degenerative disease plus nerve impingement C6/7 and L5, thoracic outlet syndrome and right convex scoliosis. Surgery is indicated for the two cervical herniated discs C4/5 and as already mentioned C6/7, however, due to a recent scare with pulmonary embolus, blood thinners (Xarelto) makes this option out of the question for the moment.
As you can imagine, I am in a lot of pain with restricted movement mostly due to the chain reaction of my muscles. Its hard to know where the pain originates and if the muscle pain is a separate illness. My physio is great and she can usually get me going again quite quickly when my muscles turn to stone.
This time things were different, my left arm was so painful and fine motor skills failed. I had pain and parasthesia in deltoid and bicep plus a lump and severe pain at my elbow. This was diagnosed as tennis elbow plus nerve compression syndrome due to the parasthesia and numbness (usually for a lengthy period in the morning). My spine is burning from the top to the bottom and no amount of analgesia brings me relief.
The neurologist adviced a course of orednisolone, 80mg for 5 days, 40 mg for 5 days, 20 mg for 5 days and then 10 mg for 5 days. Within 2 days of the 80 mg dose, I noticed positive results. My left arm was much better and the pain in my spine was greatly reduced. Hiwever, when I started on 40 mgs, the pain increased again (not complaining as still improved).

Where do I go from here? At the end of the month the steroids will end. The Tramadol I was taking beforehand did not help especially at night (did during the day) and I fear I will be back to square one. The pain was so severe I was screamming during the night. I was afraid to go to bed, to lie down or shut my eyes.
One of my downfalls is that I always look healthy ( my hypertension gives me a warm glow) so no one really believes the extent of my pain. Any advice on how best to handle my situation would be gracefully received.

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!