Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Beginner Yoga/Swimming- Benefits experienced by any post L5-S1 disc decompression?

happygolucky87hhappygolucky87 Posts: 3
edited 07/17/2015 - 4:43 PM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi there folks on the road to recovery from varying back surgery cases :)

First off, I'd like to say thank you to one and all for sharing their experiences and journey to recovery with fabulous and extremely helpful advice here. For a new member going through this, it is very refreshing and motivating to hear from all of you :)

I'm a 27 year old who has just had an L5-S1 disc decompression done and like many here have been absolutely worried sick of post recovery care. Touch wood, things are progressing quite well for me so far(2 weeks and counting) with numbness in the feet still slightly lingering around, however, free of the horrible sciatica and back pain at the moment. There are minor pokes in the right feet at times but they are not extremely bothersome anymore.

So having said that and like an excited puppy again wanting to get back into normal activities, I wanted to request if anyone can post their insights on the benefits of Yoga and/or swimming to help with strengthening the back and maintaining flexibility for the future.

At the moment, the only activity I'm comfortably and religiously following, based on doctor's advice and staff recommendation, is walking as many kms as possible. It has been very rewarding. Lost a bit of weight too :D
Apart from that though, I have a very rigid body type so a little frightened at the chance of injuring myself even more if I choose to pursue Yoga and swimming as activities to help even more with the recovery. The doctor has told me to live my life fully but of course, with not too much of cardio, weights or bending actions. Yoga and swimming has been given the Green signal by the doc.

Your advice on your Yoga and/or swimming experience, post surgery, will be very much welcomed and greatly appreciated :)

To all in good health!

Best wishes

• FYI- I have not had back surgery but I live in the pool. I have several herniated discs among other things. About 10 or so years ago I went to a pain clinic with a pool. they showed me stretching exercises to do in the pool. I did those for months, then I started walking in the pool, I found a pool with a current channel so if you walk against it you get a better workout. Then months later I added a water arthritis class. Eventually I added water aerobics. I have been doing that for years. Of course there is a hot tub, it helps. I have tried yoga but most of my injuries are in my neck and it's too painful for me to put my bodyweight on my arms.
  • Hi Andrea,

Thank you so much for your input. Sounds like swimming is helping you to a great extent with pain management.

You case is definitely much more complex than mine with multiple disc herniation. Sorry to hear about that :( Your pain must be exponentially excruciating :(:( Are nerve roots being impacted as a result of some of the disc bulging?
    Is surgery an option at all, if I may ask?

I've had a great surgeon and can refer you if you like, if you are in the Toronto area. Let me know :)

Thanks once again for sharing your experience.

Wishing you lots of recovery time and best wishes :)

• I don't really swim, too hard on my neck. it's exercising in the water. walking, arthritis, aerobics, stretching, etc. Luckily, because of the water arthritis classes the pool has to be warmer than the other pools. that really helps.

The pain isn't that bad, It hurts more when I miss a class. I have been avoiding surgery for over 30 years