Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Norco vs. Zohydro

Hello, I met with my PM today to discuss meds. Questioning if anyone has tried Zohydro-any success? He said if I have pain still, I could also take Tylenol as needed.

• an extended release form of hydrocodone, without the tylenol. Norco and Zyhdro contain the same medication, but the delivery is smoother, and longer lasting , rather than the short acting norco, requiring less dosing.

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 554
    I was on it for awhile. My biggest problem with it was finding a pharmacy that could fill it? None of the Walgreens, cvs or big pharmacies were able to fill it. I would call around & check who can fill it first. It wasn't convienent to drive across town for it.
  • There was a lot of media fuss when it was first released so it could be hard to find docs who wanted to prescribe & pharmacies that carried it. My doc said he was just waiting for the fuss to die down before he started. Things might be a bit better now but I'd check you can get it filled too. Hydrocodone always worked well for its strength for me. I'd be interested to try it next time I rotate meds. Hopeful. ;-)

I'm loving my new Kroger pharmacy at the moment. First, they take my silly new insurance which is obviously huge! I went to talk to the head pharmacist when they opened & gave her my med list. She ordered in what she didn't have & has been so reliable ever since.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Hey Wolf! Can I ask what you were taking before? Have you found it works better? I'm a bit strange (Hahaha! No jokes!) Hydrocodone seemed to work better for me, given its strength, than it should. Know what I mean? My doc mentions Methadone as something I should be thinking about but I think I'd like to stay with the regular meds (ER & breakthrough) for a while longer. I'm doing ok on morphine ER for now but I know it makes me a bit foggy.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • for all your help. I will definitely speak with my pharmacist and primary care dr. first. I may just stay on Norco as I know it works. Both drs agreed my health-organ wise is ok for this amount of medication. I didn't realize it was hard to purchase. Sandi- did you feel you had the same relief from the Zohydro?
    thanks again for all the explanations.
  • I currently use ZoHydro 30mg twice a day. It is working well for a base, I have been using it since January. I usually give my pharmacist a week lead time and they make sure it have it in stock for me. Walgreens is the pharmacy that I use.
  • I used Oxycodone 20mg twice a day as a base. I have not found much of a difference but I also prefer Hydrocodone and the name ZoHydro is kind of cool. I also enjoy sticking it to the politicians and anti-opiate groups that don't know what the heck they are talking about, the ones in the NE that tried to stop it. I even let the makers of ZoHydro know that I would be willing to testify for them.

My understanding is that the need for different opiates is that people metabolize them differently. That is why you might hear someone say "wow that knocked me out" when another person says "no affect on me". The differences are really highlighted between different racial groups. Keeping it simple there are three main groups each of which is based on how the medicine is broken down by the body and what the byproducts are. I would not be afraid of Methadone if I needed it but my story is coming to an end. The pain is lessening each day and I don't have an anatomical reason for it to come back. I have my fingers crossed.

• Wolf. Have you ever had the metabolism test to see how your body deals with different medications? I have friends who have now automatically been given it by their PM doc. It's becoming far more common. I still haven't. We were going to do it & then other things happened & we've forgotten about it. I think it would be interesting. It's not just how well meds work, it's how we'll my body processes & clears the waste that bothers me.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Robin. Do you have regular liver function tests? I think everyone who takes medications daily should. :-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • English girl, I haven't had one but it sounds like a smart thing to do.
  • I see my Primary Dr. every two months for refills and tests. She tests my liver to the point she thinks I'm nuts. But I don't care, I want to make sure my liver is good. She also runs other tests- whatever she feels I need. She has been my PD for about 12 years now, and really knows me. I love that she takes the time to talk and discuss how I feel and plus/minus of meds. Both her and my PM said the amount of Norco I'm on is fine, and not to worry about liver damage. I still do tho. My friends Mom died of cirrhosis of the liver. Never drank or took meds. She was diabetic tho. Interesting question my friend asked the Dr- is why were her liver enzymes fine? He said that doesn't mean a thing. I'm not sure what that meant and how true that is..... I drink a ton of water every day. I wish I could exercise more, that I'm bad at. Just causes more pain, so I do what I can when I feel good.