Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hand weakness 6 weeks post op

SoshaSSosha Posts: 2
edited 07/19/2015 - 2:10 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had acdf surgery on 2 levels 6 weeks ago. My symptoms were pain in back, numbness from elbow through part of my hand, and my fingers wouldn't flex. Grip was fine but fingers not flexing has been the worst - my dominant hand and I can't do anything. It started originaly when I had some pain in my back and went to a chiropractor for an adjustment and the next morning loss function of my hand and the numbness appeared. I had surgery 4 weeks later - c5/6 and C7-T1.

After surgery the pain was gone. After 3 weeks the numbness suddenly disappeared. I have no improvement in my hand. I can't lift my fingers at all.

Since I've seen no improvement at all in my finger flexation in 6 weeks is it more likely the damage is permanent? Has anyone else had no improvement for so long but yet still improved over time? This is extremely depressing and life changing.

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!

• B0ssdadBB0ssdad Posts: 14
    edited 07/19/2015 - 3:17 PM
    I know its hard,but be patient..Its so tempting to panic..I did many times..But 6 weeks is too soon to let yourself commit to anything being permanent..it was 6 weeks before ANY sensation started to return to my fingers..So wait a few months.It will change often..Things get better,pain gets worse.then it all starts to level out..When c-5 is decompressed,according to my NS,the nerve freaks out and will stop letting you raise your arms at all.Like they are dead..And he said don't worry,it only lasts a couple months until the nerve stops freaking out..Hope that helps..Hang in there,try to not panic and think catastrophically to much..I did too tho,and it only made it worse..
  • Thanks so much! Does anyone else have experiences to share?