Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

single level C6-7 bone fusion; RECOVERY

bburch2bbburch2 Posts: 1
edited 07/19/2015 - 10:20 PM in Recovering from Surgery
Im a athletic young 24 year old male who enjoys everything the outdoors has to offer. My doctor is on vacation for a month and I would like to see if the general public could relate to my situation. Prior to my c6-7 bone fusion , I had zero pain, numbness, or tingling (ROM was really my only loss). Doc said it was best to have surgery while im young and healthy instead of waiting for the herniated disc to collapsed and pinch me. Im 4 1/2 weeks post op now and feel wonderful. Ive been walking on a slight incline hill 2-4 miles for the past 2 weeks, as well as the past week i just started doing girl push ups (30-40) every other day as well as ab workouts like flutter kicks (30 secs 3X). I experience zero pain when doing all of these as well as the next day i feel amazing. I strech very long before and after as well as before going to bed. My question is i dont want a screw to be loose in there and how would i know? I dont have my 1st post op visit with the PA until 2 weeks from now. My ROM is greatly improving everyday as well as my general health. Advice or thoughts on this would be great.

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 557
    Did your surgeon give you instructions on what you can or can't do after surgery? Are you going to physical therapy?
    I think walking is a great way to get some exercise, but I'm a little nervous about you doing push ups? I would call his office & see what they say about it?
    You certainly don't want to disrupt your healing process.
  • I agree with Motor. I'm 3 weeks out of artificial disc replacement c5/6 which is an easier recovery than fusion and I was in a soft collar until just recently with many restrictions! no lifting anything over 15 lbs, limited bending, no exercise other than walking. Your neck needs time to heal. I would definitely call your dr.
  • They place a tremendous strain on your deep internal core muscles - the ones you cant see or feel (ie. the "go" muscles not the "show" muscles).
    I used to do literally hundreds and hundreds of pushups every week as part of my martial arts training until my c6/7 went bang....and 13 weeks postop the doc is saying no until the neck fuses (6 to 12 mths). I can wait that long. I'm only 51.
    Until the fusion is one bone again, I would definitely advise against it - you're only young so don't stuff it up for the rest of your life because you think you're bulletproof mate....you ain't.
    Take care.
    C6/7 ACDF 18th April 2015 after 8 years of mucking around pretending it was something else...
  • I thought I was an over achiever. I would say please no push ups. I don't know if there are any do overs for this surgery.

Good Luck!
  • BlessedMom74BBlessedMom74 Posts: 322
    edited 07/25/2015 - 6:18 AM
    I would not be doing push ups of any kind 4.5 weeks post op. I would wait until you see your doctor and get your first set of X-rays and cleared to resume activity. Things are still settling even with hardware, I wouldn't risk doing anything with upper body. The only thing I and many people are approved to do right after surgery is to walk. Long walks even are ok. But push ups I couldn't imagine any surgeon ok'ing that at 4.5 weeks post op.
    Happy to hear you are pain free and nothing was aggravated though.