Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

On my third cervical spine surgery

I've had three cervical spine surgeries.
The first two were anterior, the latest was posterior.
I'm 21 days out of the last one and am still in major pain.
I realize it's early but I was wondering if anyone has had the posterior c-5 thru c-7 Screws and Rods fusion.
And if so, how long until the pain got better.
Thanks in advance.
Michael R Whaley

• I did..I had Posterior c3-6 with screws and rods fusion..I had become pretty myelopathic tho,so my muscles were pretty shot..Im a 45 yr old male by the way.Im also 5 months post op..
    Which pain do you mean..Pre surgery or post op muscle pain from them moving them to get to your spine?..They gave me 80 Percocet and morphine post op,so you know they expected months of pain,to justify sending you home with 80 perc 10's..

And as a guess,I'd say 6 weeks to 2 months and the severe pain will start to fade..Just going off my experience mind you..
  • At least for me 4 months.
  • I'm sorry I forgot to mention 4 level posterior. Collar for 3 months 24/7 then weaned off 1 hr per day then 2 then so on and once completely out then therapy which was brutal but they had to loosen all the muscles and nerves and therapy lasted its time 3 months.
  • Thanks for the replies. I meant post op pain. I never had to do any PT. I've been on 4 a day 15 mg oxycodone for a year. Sometimes it doesn't cover the pain. Preop and postop. It's good to hear from others with similar condition.
    Michael R Whaley
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 556
    I had neck surgery through the front first, then when it didn't fuse, I had surgery through the back of neck.
    The pain was so different by comparison. Much worse from the posterior surgery! I found that I was allergic to Percocet, oxycodone & OxyContin! I could only take Vicodin. Needless to say, my pain wasn't being managed very well.
    It did take a long while for the acute surgery pain to feel better. I had 11 staples in the back of my neck. I almost passed out when the nurse removed them. I made them stop so I could lay down on the table.
    You are still early on your recovery process. Give yourself time to heal. Follow all your doctors restrictions & don't overdo it.
    Try tracking your progress weekly instead of daily? You'll find you are progressing more than you think.
    Good luck to you!
  • I had an anterior and posterior surgery about a year and four months ago. They went through the front first and I have a plate there. Then they turned me over and did a 5 level fusion with rods and screws. C2- C7. I also had my C-5 vertibrate removed and replaced with a cadaver bone. I still have a lot of pain and I am still on medication. I have a lot of pain below and above my fusion as well as at the surgery site. But for me the severe pain from the posterior fusion started to get better at about 2 months. Heat really helped. I had severely tight muscles and still do to this day. I found that having someone not necessarily massage because this was painful but just having them take their fingers and push kind of like they would on a keyboard was helpful. It relieved some of the muscles spasms that I would have. For me, and from what I have heard from others, posterior surgeries take a lot longer to recover from. I hope you get feeling better soon:)