Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I took a big baby step today!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Please, don't yell at me, my wife did a fine job herself, thank you very much :D

I am 10 days post-op and feeling better than I should I guess. I almost wish I didn't feel this good because I am doing more than I should.

Let me first say the Dr. told me the day I got out of the hospital, to walk, walk, walk, walk.... The only restrictions he gave me that I recall was to not lift, bend or twist...Jus Just use common sense he says.

Well, I am not one to let the grass grow under my feet. This sitting around has been driving me nuts. So today I go out through the garage to go get the mail and the newspaper - All my toys are in the garage, and my main toy is my sweet and sexy Harley-Davidson. I sat on her and fired her up, just to feel the power again. Since it was started, I just *had* to take her out of the garage right?

140 miles later I come home to a mad wife, 2 mad daughters and my own dog wouldn't even come to me.

The moral of the story? Get home and let the pipes cool down before your family gets home :)

• You might be a little nutz but it sounds like a blast.... I can't wait till I can have fun again :P

Take it easy or don't take it at all....

• You men are so terrible at following medical advice! :O :) I really hope that the bumps on the road don't affect you - if I over do things I tend not to feel it for a day or 2 and boy do I pay for it then.

I don't blame your family for being angry with you, but I also completely understand you wanting to just get for a while. There is nothing worse than feeling ok but not being able to do things. But please keep in mind that you have been through so much to get here, is it really worth risking it all and causing your fusion to fail? Lecture over! (If you were in the UK I'd be demanding you come over here and take me out for a ride!)

With the walking, I've heard that it's better to have several short walks in a day rather than doing 1 long one. Maybe if you have lots of walks in a day you will be too busy to go off on your bike again!

Good luck and I really hope you don't get sore after your naughty behaviour ;) :)
  • shame on you for not inviting us....LOL
    no really its hard to feel good and have restrictions but you must follow Dr orders, as lame as they may seem. There for the best...so dont go outside through the garage any more!!!!!!
    youll be up and running soon enough...
    congrats on feeling good though....
  • Well sure we men are terrible, that is what makes us men. :D

Tonight my wife says to me, "Maybe we can take a short bike ride tomorrow if you feel up to it..... :jawdrop:
  • after 3 days of feeling great after my 3rd spinal injection I went out and rode my horse for 3hrs. It was a hoot had a terrific time. 3days later the pain was back and I was flat on my back.
    Now that i have had this surgery I am going to take it easy. I never want to go thrrough this again.
    IMO....i am with your wife riding 140 miles was a no-no.
    It takes over a month for the buldge that they trimmed off of your back to start skimming over.
    Your back is still weak and so is your core.
    I feed over 5 tons of hay per year at 350 per ton. It is killing me to watch those hay burners not be rode! Your bike will be there in september.
    This is for your own good! }:)
  • That really was unsafe and I'm sure your doctor would of been upset, I know it stinks and is so boring but you must lay low!!!!!!

• Aw man, I just wanna have some fun. We didn't ride today because the weather was so bad. So I think I'll wait until I can talk to the Dr before I do anymore riding.
  • I would really hate to see you back on the table. My doc really warned me about being over anxious.
    I wanna ride too!take care.
  • I was talking to my DH and remembering his discectomy from 7 years ago - he PAINTED the whole bedroom at 2 weeks post op :jawdrop:

I was gone on a weekend trip and I came home to a newly painted room. Granted, he had the teenage boys there to help - but painting!!??

In his defense, he really was feeling so much better post op than he was pre-op.

And... best news, he feels so good now that a few years ago he rejoined the military and is currently in Iraq. Silly boy.
  • See, we can't help doing this. :D