Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

stoping narcotic pain meds

Have been taking 60 mg er morphine 3 times a day for about 5 years and they nolonger work well dr switching me to pain pump but i gave to be off narcotics for 2 to 4 weekd before the trail very scared can hardly do anything now and afarid of the pain being to much in addation to the withdraw will be decreaseing quickly by half every 5 days since i want this over with asap dr said other non narcotic meds can help but gabapentin dirsnt work for me and insurance wont pay for lyrica anyone know an effective non narcotic pain med that might help me get thru the next couble months

• A taper, done properly, guided by your doctor should drastically reduce any withdrawal symptoms you might have otherwise.
    The pain , as you go lower might not be as bad as you think. Muscle relaxers can help, over the counter anti inflammatory meds used during timed of increased pain may also be really helpful. Cymbalta or one of the other nerve pain meds beside gabapentin or Lyrica might also be of great help during this.
    Don't forget to use ice packs or Epsom salts baths to ease muscle aches and pains. Simple stretching, some vitamins can help greatly as well.

• I've stopped all of my meds a couple of times. My doc has helped me titrate slowly & I've never had any bad effects (other than increased pain). Your doc or pharmacist can help you with any side-effects. Let them know what vitamin suppliments you take. I had to stop some of mine for procedures/surgery etc.

Magnesium is great for restless leg syndrome type feelings for me & hot Epsom salt baths reduce muscle pain. Massaging in aromatherapy oils is another effective trick for me. Drink lots of water & most of all keep busy!! Distraction really is the best medicine.

Best of luck! :-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.